Sniper Gloves?

Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz

I seem to recall that these were called Sniper's gloves in some reference that I apparently no longer have or at least I can't find them in any book these days. Has anyone come across gloves like these before? This particular pair came out of a USMC grouping. I'm still trying to find some information about the Marine. The gloves are fingerless and also they are palmless. They were not altered, but were made this way. Check out the pics.

post-115-0-79930900-1489158718_thumb.jpg

I have the same gloves that I bought 20 years ago thru Shotgun News. I don't have anything to confirm their intended use.

Peter

Quartermaster

I have 1 or 2 pairs of exactly the same gloves. They were identified as "mosquito gloves" available to servicemen assigned to mosquito infested areas.

They left the fingers and palms free for dexterity but covered the wrist, the back of the hand and part of the fingers.

I have some documentation somewhere which I will try to dig up.

They were in the same arena as mosquito nets and veils and those "newfangled" aerosol insecticides containing helpful chemicals like DDT.

Don't know how accepted some of these "helpful" items were to the line troops - - were they tried and discarded as so much hindrance or welcomed with open arms?

I have found little info about their actual use.

I have included mine with my loaded jungle packs.

• 2 weeks later...
Brian Keith

I bought a pair identical in a surplus store in the '80's and actually wore them in the field when I was in the infantry company. They kept your hands from getting scratched up from the brambles. I later cut the fingers off my black leather gloves and used them. I never saw them as an issue item, but could have been.<br />BKW<br />