N.A.P. & Naval Aviator grouping.

rustywings

I picked up this small USN grouping last week near Atlanta. Even though I normally refrain from purchasing post WWII artifacts, I was drawn to the uniqueness of the two certificates.

Comparing the two certificates, Enlisted "Naval Aviation Pilot" First Class, Richard E. Meyer graduated from Pensacola and received his wings on April 16, 1946.

Then one day later, on April 17, 1946, Ensign Richard E. Meyer received a second certificate indicating his new commission and re-designation as a "Naval Aviator."

IMG_04401 (2).jpg

A few more snaps of the same grouping...

I look forward to researching this Aviator.

IMG_04451.JPG

IMG_04461 (2).jpg

Just to add to Russ' nice thread:

In the late 1970's my dad was assigned to VQ-2 in NAS Rota Spain (I was about 13-15 years old at the time). When I started collecting WWII wings, he suggested I contact Capt. Tayor, the CO of the squadron and see if he would share any of his WWII stuff with me. Jack Taylor was an enlisted pilot during the war. After WW2, he got his commission and eventually retired as a Captain.

This is some of the nice stuff he shared with me (his flight jacket and medals went to his sons). I recall his wife turning the hose on us kids to keep us from playing touch football in their backyards. I also remember my first business venture to wash cars over the summer. We charged 1.50/car/boy--and could usually get a car clean in about 15 minutes. Capt Taylor paid us 1.00$ TOTAL and made us clean inside, outside, and then wax his car. My buddy figured it wasn't worth the effort, but I finished the job. So, some 20 years later when I sent him a nice letter asking if he would share some of his WWII insignia, he recalled me and mentioned my fine car washing skills, and sent off a nice package. So, good deeds do pay!

First some photos. Here is a picture taken in 1945. He was a NAP and flew scout planes during the war. Then, after the war he was commissioned and had a very distinguished career in the Navy. This is his retirement photo.

post-1519-0-78637500-1489090538.jpg

post-1519-0-53381300-1489090890.jpg

He gave some old snap shots, his wings and a couple of squadron patches.

I have a bit of his military history some where as well. he went though the V5 program as well.

post-1519-0-30753900-1489091078_thumb.jpg

post-1519-0-70764900-1489091091_thumb.jpg

I believe this was the squadron he was flying during VN.

All in all, a nice grouping from a man who used to run me and my buddies off his backyard when we were kids. Actually, I remember him as a really nice fellow.

post-1519-0-53870000-1489091406.jpg

Captain Taylor's Biography: (you can read an interview here--https://blog.usni.org/2009/12/08/capt-john-e-jack-taylor-usn-ret) I may have had some of the specifics wrong in my first couple of posts.

Capt. John E. Taylor was born 5/23/23 in Cohoes, New York. He attended Cohoes HS and went to College at
California Polly, Gila Jr. and St Mary's under the V-5 Naval Cadet program. Growing up 9 miles north of
Albany, NY, he spent summers on Saratoga Lake, Lake George, and Lake Champlain, plus other places all
over the New England states, fishing with his father. 54 years ago he married former Elizabeth E. Dunwoody.
They met in Oklahoma City while he was in pre-flight training at Norman, OK. The name Elizabeth Taylor
has gotten a lot of attention over all these years. Captain Taylor thinks that is probably why he made Captain to
start with. Those that know the Taylor family will admit that Elizabeth was a driving force behind a lot of his
successes. Additionally, it was his true desire to get the job done right and having fun along the way that
allowed him to go from E-1 to O-6 and earn those "Wings of Gold".

Seaman Recruit Taylor entered the U.S. Navy on March 25, 1941. After recruit training at Great Lakes,
Illinois, he attended the Ford Motor Company Aviation Machinist School in Dearborn, Michigan. His first duty
assignment was in the Operations Department at Naval Air Station Ford Island, Hawaii. Speaking of Ford, his
first Division Officer was none other than Henry Ford II. In September 1943 he was selected as one of a
special group of fleet personnel to attend preparatory schools and subsequently Naval flight training. Upon
completion of flight school at Pensacola he was commissioned as a Naval Aviator and given the rank of
Ensign, USNR. After a tour of duty on USS Portsmouth as a Scout Observation Pilot he was released to
inactive in the Reserves. In 1947 he resigned his commission and reenlisted as an Aviation Pilot 1st Class (AP),
in 1953 he was promoted to Chief Petty Officer.

In 1955 he was selected and attended Naval Officers Candidate School. Graduating with honors, he was once
again commissioned an Ensign and reported to the USS Hornet. In 1957 Lt. Taylor joined VQ-1 and thus
started his association with the A-3 Skywarrior. At one point in 1959 Taylor was the sole A-3 Pilot with his
own personal A3D-1Q 130363. He caught back up with this bird again when assigned to NMC in Pt. Mugu.
Three more back to back VQ tours followed NMC, VQ-2, VQ-1, and a return to VQ-2 as Skipper. By this
time Captain Taylor had over 10,000 hours in 48 models of aircraft with 4,000+ in the A-3. He took an
assignment to the CNO's office working with C3 and EW, where he made Captain. He then went to NTC in
Orlando as Chief of Staff. Finally Captain Taylor headed back to VQ-2 as Skipper for one more tour "with that
beautiful A-3 aircraft" as he refers to the Whale.

Captain Taylor retired after 39+ years on June 20, 1980 piped ashore in a ceremony at VQ-2. Ironically the A-
3 also had 39 years of Naval service but that's another story. Capt. Taylor was the last commissioned AP in the
Navy. His decorations include the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star with Combat V, Meritorious Service Medal,
Air Medal with Numeral 6, numerous Campaign and Service medals from WWII to Vietnam and on into the
Cold War.

My folks remained friends with the Taylor's for years.

I vaguely remember attending his retirement ceremony in 1980. Sadly, being a teen age boy at that time, everything bored me... except teen age girls. And they just caused me a great deal of confusion and anxiety. :love: Plus, we were getting ready to head to the Philippines and NAS Cubi Point, so I can't really be sure some 37 years later.