M113 ACAV "K" Troop 11 ACR "Blackhorse" Viet Nam

Proud Kraut

Garandomatic

I think you're on the right track. The Nam era vehicles that I saw when I was younger all looked very brown, but I think it was because they baked in the sun at places like Fort Benning. Burned the paint quite a bit, and it just lodged in my head as correct.

Proud Kraut

The M113 received it's OD coat last week. To achieve a darker look of the painting I mixed Tamiya XF-62 olive drab with Tamiya XF-1 black at a ratio of 3:1.

APC OD.jpg

I so much enjoy your progress, truly look,forward to your posts and progress of your models thanks for sharing and keep it coming

Thank you all very much, guys!

Yes Manny, meanwhile the APC has received a coat of black primer to make the final OD color look as dark as possible.

attachicon.gifprimer.jpg

Hey Lars;

Good choice with the aftermarket tracks. The primer and dark olive drab color give it the right color. Looking good so far. You do good work.

Semper Fi.

Manny

If you look at the picture you'll see the the M113 is a LIGHTER color call Olive Green(OG). Witch is the color the the army was painting their vehicles in the 1960s. This vehicle is covered in the red clay dust of certain areas of the country.

Proud Kraut

Spring is here... Unfortunately not much time for modeling these days. The M113 received an intensive dark washing today followed by paintbrushing light OD color all over the APC's surface. I'm getting closer to the original color.

apc10.jpg

apc09.jpg

apc11.jpg

The Meatcan

Lars, I'm a little late to this thread but your M113 is really looking nice! Great job on taking on the old Tamiya kit and turning it into one of your usual fine builds.

Will you be adding figures or is it a stand alone vehicle display?

Terry

Proud Kraut

Thanks very much, Terry! I'm unsure about the figures, probably yes, I'm thinking about it.

I started with the base today. I'm using a picture frame, modeling clay, a rolling pin and some old M113 tracks. I think the pictures are self-explaining:

Base1.jpg

Base2.jpg

Base3.jpg

Proud Kraut

Finally I painted the base with a dark fluid acrylic paint. Now the base has to dry for at least 24 hours.

Base4.jpg

Proud Kraut

Tracks. I use to paint the rubber tracks with pigments. For this I mixed burnt umber & light brown pigments with MIG pigment fixer.

tra1.jpg

Tra2.jpg

Tra3.jpg

Proud Kraut

Thank you Gentlemen! After adding the tracks to the M113 I painted the base with pigments.

Time to equip the rear of the APAC with some details. C-rations days (yummy)! I used the Tamiya cardboard c-rats which came with the M113 kit. Straps were made by cutting off stripes of a champagne bottle banderole. c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

Awesome work Lars. I like the fact that you use the banderole from a champagne bottle. I use the ones from my cognac bottle. LOL. I love the C ration boxes that come with the kits. I see you have the correct interior color for the APC.

The weathering looks top-notch, so I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Thanks buddy! A little bit off-topic but still M113 related. Here's "mine": OPFOR, Munster training area, 30 years ago. I'm the one at the MG. Obviously it was a little bit colder than in Viet Nam.. Happy Easter!

OPFOR.jpg

Proud Kraut

Just returned home from a short trip and found the figures in the mail box which I had ordered last week. It's the Verlinden "Rise & Shine Vietnam" figure set. In addition I received some etched EDUARD cal. 0.50 ammo belts.

crew.jpg

ammo.jpg

Proud Kraut

I added some aditional details and finished the APC today, Now it's time for the figures and their personal equipment.

M113 f1a.jpg

M113 f2a.jpg