M113 ACAV "K" Troop 11 ACR "Blackhorse" Viet Nam

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

So many unbuilt kits in stock. But which one next? To tell you the truth, I have had no idea until yesterday. Doing some online research I stumbled across a terrific collection of pictures of M113/Armor in Viet Nam. Going through the pictures one specific photograph of an M113 ACAV caught my eye.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/zippo132/7948057292/

Don't know exactly why, i's rather unspectacular. Maybe it's because of the perspective or because of the tarpaulin on the rear ramp that looks like a wrapped body at the first glance. Or maybe it's the (rather uncommon) absence of any soldiers in this scene. To make a long story short, this will be the next project:

I started to build/paint some Tamiya M113 ACAV about 25 years ago. I never completed this VN project then. Finally I found the remains at the attic yesterday. So I'll try to build a small vignette copying that picture of 11th ACR "Black Horse" M113 ACAV.

I'll dedicate this project to a very good friend I met here at the forum 10 years ago: CaptCav.

P1130866.JPG

Still lots of stuff left.

Garandomatic

Janitor that took care of my classroom was in k troop. He died about two months after he retired. I'd be happy to post the photos of photos i took after his funeral. Larry Snack was a wonderful man. He left me a note once after the floor got all muddy... We had a fire drill and had to walk across the wet and muddy spring grass. He asked "did you have your troops on jungle maneuvers?"

Proud Kraut

Wow, you've had this all this time :blink:!!

About 25 years ago I bought a 9th InfDiv yearbook ("Combat Art & Photography 1966/1967"). I had the idea to model these pictures I found in the booklet. I never completed this project back then...

closing with the enemy.jpg

apc.jpg

Proud Kraut

The Tamiya M113 ACAV kit from 1987 is still okay but, so to say, no longer state of the art. I ordered an EDUARD etched part set "M113A1 Vietnam exterior" No. 35430 that arrived today. It's for the ACADEMY kit but will work for the Tamiya kit as well I think. Some impressions:

ed1.jpg

ed7.jpg

ed8.jpg

Hey Lars: "Welcome to Vietnam!"

Nice to see you doing the M113 ACAV. With the added photo etch it should lend to be an extraordinary build. I'm looking forward to it.

Semper Fi.

Manny

We were still using these up to the late 80's at least.. I crewed one in Korea from 88-89. Also, do you have recent contact with Hank, aka CaptCav? I've lost touch with him unfortunately.

So many unbuilt kits in stock. But which one next? To tell you the truth, I have had no idea until yesterday. Doing some online research I stumbled across a terrific collection of pictures of M113/Armor in Viet Nam. Going through the pictures one specific photograph of an M113 ACAV caught my eye.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/zippo132/7948057292/

Don't know exactly why, i's rather unspectacular. Maybe it's because of the perspective or because of the tarpaulin on the rear ramp that looks like a wrapped body at the first glance. Or maybe it's the (rather uncommon) absence of any soldiers in this scene. To make a long story short, this will be the next project:

I started to build/paint some Tamiya M113 ACAV about 25 years ago. I never completed this VN project then. Finally I found the remains at the attic yesterday. So I'll try to build a small vignette copying that picture of 11th ACR "Black Horse" M113 ACAV.

I'll dedicate this project to a very good friend I met here at the forum 10 years ago: CaptCav.

attachicon.gifP1130866.JPG

Still lots of stuff left.

Lars, looking at the photo, I don't think that is a body bag on the ramp. I think it is someone in a sleeping bag, with a poncho or other covering over it.

Proud Kraut

Lars, looking at the photo, I don't think that is a body bag on the ramp. I think it is someone in a sleeping bag, with a poncho or other covering over it.

Gil, you are probably right with the wrapped "thing". Meanwhile I received the permission to post the picture of the APC here at the forum. Going through this gallery again I noticed that "OD" seemed to be nearly black in many cases then. Or did the Army changed the color of the vehicles to a "Dark OD" during the Viet Nam campaign?

m 13 a.jpg

Garandomatic

It was for sure pretty dark. Vallejo's us od green is close... I'll check the color i have in mind and post you a picture.

Proud Kraut

We were still using these up to the late 80's at least.. I crewed one in Korea from 88-89. Also, do you have recent contact with Hank, aka CaptCav? I've lost touch with him unfortunately.

PM sent.

@Garandomatic, that would be great, thanks!

Proud Kraut

Tracks - The original Tamiya tracks are looking horrible. I ordered a pair of AFV-Club M113 tracks to replace the original ones. Here are both side by side.

tracks.jpg

Garandomatic

OK... FInally.. It is the en of the grading period where I teach, so it's been an exceedingly busy time. I've got to get Larry's pictures transferred from my phone, I'll try to get that tonight or in the next couple of days. First up is the bottle of that paint. I think the color is USA Olive Drab.

post-9670-0-92142400-1489700264_thumb.jpg

Garandomatic

Here's a color test. The WWII OD color on my painting tray is maroon olive, I think. It looks very brown, but I am 100% sure it's right on for that post-WWII OD Green. The paint is on the sprue to my Priest's suspension parts

post-9670-0-66195200-1489700463_thumb.jpg

Garandomatic

Bah. I'll have to look at a book I have and if it is too brown for a good Nam look, I will check my US Dark Green color, it may be better.

Proud Kraut

This color looks like the very dark OD color I have seen on many pictures of U.S. vehicles in VN:

Farben.jpg

Proud Kraut

Paintjob has to wait a little bit longer over here. Working with photo etched parts is very time-consuming.

pep.jpg

Proud Kraut

Thank you all very much, guys!

Nice job with the photo etch. I guess you have prime before you paint?

Semper Fi.

Manny

Yes Manny, meanwhile the APC has received a coat of black primer to make the final OD color look as dark as possible.

primer.jpg