FAC & TASS Patches - Vietnam

River Patrol

19th_t10.jpg

Steve, here is a picture of your second unknown patch worn in Vietnam. I do not remember where I found it, but the file name says 19th TASS.

Beezman,

That photo is of A1C James Meade receiving the Air Medal. Jim was a Forward Air Control radio operator with the 19 TASS station at Song Be in support of the 5th Special Foprces. The photo was taken c. 1966.

He says that VNAF used to wear this small F-19 patch but I haven't been able to substatiate that. I will let you know the history of the F-19 patch...if I ever find it out.

The larger F-19 patch was designed by a 19 TASS Forward Air Controller, Vandy Powell, in 1964. He said he was given one of the small F-19 patches but thought a FAC patch should be more than that so he said he designed a new patch. He said He added the O-1 (L-19) with bent wings and Mach .2 (about 120 mph). He said the people he arrived in VN with, April 1964, were all designated Air Liaison Officers/Forward Air Controllers (ALO/FAC) so that is why he put ALO/FAC VIETNAM on top of the patch. He said they seldom had anyone going (flying) with them in the back seat-that they mostly flew alone, so on the bottom he put MOT MINH KHONG SO, the Vietnamese for "Alone amnd Not Afraid". This larger F-19 patch was worn by 19 TASS FACS.

Ken Hinks

O-1 Crew Chief

19 TASS

Bien Hoa/Lai Khe

66/68

Ken,

Thanks for the great information.

Beezman,

Thanks fo rthe photo. It's always good to have photographic evidence of a patch "in wear, in country".

Steve

Ken,

Thanks for the great information.

Beezman,

Thanks fo rthe photo. It's always good to have photographic evidence of a patch "in wear, in country".

Steve

Beezman,

I just talked to Vandy and says he had the (larger) patches made in Saigon. He only had six made so if anyone has an original it is very rare.

Cheers,

Ken

Ken,

Did you look at the one I show on the first page of this thread?

Steve

Ken,

Did you look at the one I show on the first page of this thread?

Steve

Steve,

Here's a pic of a patch I got from Jim Meade. I haven't confirmed that this is an original patch yet, but take a look at the differences between this patch and yours. I will check on this patch with Vandy Powell and see if it's an original.

Ken

post-2148-1200844266.jpg

Steve,

Here's a pic of a patch I got from Jim Meade. I haven't confirmed that this is an original patch yet, but take a look at the differences between this patch and yours. I will check on this patch with Vandy Powell and see if it's an original.

Ken

post-2148-1200844266.jpg

Here's a pic one of the original patches in Vandy Powell's collection of two. Only four more floating around.

Finished beating this issue to death.

Cheers,

Ken

Here's another FAC patch....unknown to me but was in a VN vet's grouping.

I got tired of looking for information....and sold it!

Enjoy,

Howard

post-389-1200964772.jpg

Hi Howard

I remember the show when you sold that patch because I almost bought it. I think I know where it lives now! Nice stuff Howard!

Steve

Finished beating this issue to death.

Cheers,

Ken

Hi Ken,

I don't see any NEW picture. And the picture you show of your patch matches the patch I show at the start of this thread (on Page 1).

Take a look again and please clarify.....

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Howard

I remember the show when you sold that patch because I almost bought it. I think I know where it lives now! Nice stuff Howard!

Steve

Hello Steve,

Still wish I knew what the insignia represented! It was (and IS) a wierd piece.

Look forward to seeing you at the SOS, or other shows! :D

Best Regards,

Howard

Hi Ken,

I don't see any NEW picture. And the picture you show of your patch matches the patch I show at the start of this thread (on Page 1).

Take a look again and please clarify.....

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

here's Vandy's original patch. There's some differences in most patches I see.

post-2148-1201035929.jpg

Here's another FAC patch....unknown to me but was in a VN vet's grouping.

I got tired of looking for information....and sold it!

Enjoy,

Howard

That, I believe, is the U.S. Army Starcom Facilities Control. I don't know what the "FAC" signifies.

Ken

That, I believe, is the U.S. Army Starcom Facilities Control. I don't know what the "FAC" signifies.

Ken

It just dawned on me that FAC stands for facilities. They were with the Signal Corp.

Hi Ken

Now THAT one is made differently! It has nice machine embroidered top and bottom rockers or scrolls, if you will, and some hand embroidered details in the center of the patch. The other one I show must be a hand-made "cheap charlie". This adds to my theory!

Thanks for clarifying! A very rare patch indeed!

Steve

Here's one from my VN Army Aviation collection.

The Forward Air Controller's Association has the following information on their Web site:

With the 1st US Infantry Division and attached units there were FACs assigned at five locations. At Di An, there were an ALO, an airlift operations officer, a reconnaissance operations officer, and a fighter operations officer. Their callsigns were Sidewinder 1, 2, 4, and 3 respectively. With the 1/4 Cavalry at Phu Loi there was an ALO/ FAC with the callsign Sidewinder 10. With the 1st Brigade at Phuoc Vinh there were two ALOs with the callsigns Sidewinder 11 and 12. With the 1/28th Battalion, 1/26th Battalion, and 1/2nd Battalion at Phuoc Vinh there was one FAC each with the callsigns Sidewinder 13, 14, and 15 respectively. With the 2nd Brigade at Bien Hoa there were two ALOs with the callsigns Sidewinder 21 and 22. With the 2/18th Battalion, the 2/16th Battalion, and the 1/18th Battalion at Bien Hoa there was one FAC each with the callsigns Sidewinder 23, 24, and 25 respectively. With the 3rd Brigade at Lai Khe there were two ALOs with the callsigns Sidewinder 31 and 32. With the 2/28 Battalion, the 1/16th Battalion, and the 2/2nd Battalion at Bien Hoa there was one FAC each with the callsigns Sidewinder 33, 34, and 35 respectively.

Cheers,

HK

post-389-1201822533.jpg

21st TASS and the patch is from the late 71/72 time frame ..

RJ

Found another piece in my photo archives.

I have no recollection of ever owning this piece....? Old age?

Enjoy,

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

here's Vandy's original patch. There's some differences in most patches I see.

Vandy_Powell__s_original_patch0001_compressed.jpg

So only 6 of these original patches were made, yet there seem to be plenty of these mint, hand-embroidered ones around for sale (like the patch I show at the begining of this thread). And all these mint, hand-embroidered ones I've seen were never sewn to a uniform. Hmmmmm.

How many men used these patches and over what length of time? I wonder......

• 1 year later...
So only 6 of these original patches were made, yet there seem to be plenty of these mint, hand-embroidered ones around for sale (like the patch I show at the begining of this thread). And all these mint, hand-embroidered ones I've seen were never sewn to a uniform. Hmmmmm.

How many men used these patches and over what length of time? I wonder......

Nothing like bringing an old thread back alive.

I'm sure those patches were copied many times over; however they were limited in use. I've just asked Vandy how many FACs wore that patch and over what period of time. I'm sure his memory of this matter would only be effective for the period of time he served in VN, 64/65.

Concerning the small F-19 patch, it said that: The plain F-19 patch (without the scrolling) was the original (62 or earlier). The Army Advisors wore a scalloped patch with stars on a field of blue and the F-19 patch in the same colors was designed for the FAC advisors. At that time, F-19 was the fledgling VNAF designation for the L-19.

post-2148-1258593704.jpg

• 11 months later...

Since the thread has been brought back to life. I think this is also a FAC related piece. BILK is a call sign as best I can tell.

post-1604-1288318751.jpg