Soldier Art Booklet

Fritz

:rolleyes: FRITZ: Here is the front cover of "SOLDIER ART" issued in 1945 by the Infantry Journal in their "Fighting Forces Series" (S233). "ABOUT THIS BOOK: The National Army Arts Contest, sponsored by the Special Services Division, Army Service Forces, produced 215 winning examples of paintings, drawings, sculpture, and photography. These were exhibited at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., in the summer of 1945. The entire group is reproduced in this book, and forms a comprehensive record of the creative talent of the American soldier. The distinguished soldier art has been produced on off-duty time. Here, if everywhere, is proof that many of our solkdoers have the interest and opportunity for creative expression despite the rigors and demands of military life. The quality of the work which these soldier artists have done speaks for itself. The black-and-white reproductions in this book have been made by the rotogravure process, while the eight pages in full color have been done by letterpress."
. The book was designed by Paul McPharlin. :rolleyes: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected])

post-837-1224294140.jpg

;) Page 2. Lt. Donald A. Mundt (Camp Blanding, Fla.) HEINEBURG, FORT BENNING water color 2nd Service Command.

post-837-1224294905.jpg

:unsure: Page 3. Sgt. C.D. Nelson, Jr. (Tuskegee AAF, Ala.) GREEN CORN AND WHITE ROOFS oil 4th Service Command.

post-837-1224295005.jpg

:lol: Page 5. T/4 Lewis W. Richards (Ft. H.G.Wright, N.Y. PORTRAIT oil. First Service Command.

:lol: Page 6. S/Sgt. Rene H. Rosner (Dow Field, Me.) BUCKING oil. Note the Sergeant's name stenciled on the footlocker, probably his high top marching shoes, shoebruch, paste-wax, tag, etc.?

post-837-1224295170.jpg

post-837-1224295850.jpg

This is a good one, I have studied my own copy several times. More than a few such books were done in WW2, but this is one of the better ones. thumbsup.gif

This is a good one, I have studied my own copy several times. More than a few such books were done in WW2, but this is one of the better ones. thumbsup.gif

WILLY: I agree with you, its one of the better booklets of that series. Gave 35 copies of other booklets by "Fighting Forces Series" to a nice eBay seller to sell so they could add badly needed profit tp buy every-day necessities, etc. Here are page 7 and 8, its a wonder no one ever scanned these to a CD disk yet? I bought one to scan and will make a CD and mail it to Fritz to duplicate if that is okay with Fritz? I like to scan old booklets and give away them in CD format. ([email protected]). If anyone wants to get free daily email scans, they can write to me and I'll send them right away and they can build up their picture libraries or even download them for reference too? :( Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California. (FRITZ: Thank you for introducing the subject of "SOLDIER ART.") :)

post-837-1224356745.jpg

post-837-1224356855.jpg

:o Page 8. T/4 Clarence J. Doore (Climatic Research Lab., Lawrence, Mass.) PNEUMONIA GULCH oil. Page 10. T/4 Robert Niles, Jr. (Ft. Williams, Me.) BETWEEN TRAINS oil.

post-837-1224436713.jpg

post-837-1224436727.jpg

The majority of the 2 dementional pieces are of the regionlist style set by Thomas Hart Benton. It was the leading style through the depression in the heartland of the U.S. Also a couple of cubist pieces from the abstract school of art.

Just a little BS about American art history. Class over boys and girls.

I know you are just thrilled by this information.

The majority of the 2 dementional pieces are of the regionlist style set by Thomas Hart Benton. It was the leading style through the depression in the heartland of the U.S. Also a couple of cubist pieces from the abstract school of art.

Just a little BS about American art history. Class over boys and girls.

I know you are just thrilled by this information.

STEVE: I can remnember when "Depression Art" was just about everywhere one cast their eyes, especially in post offices, the artists wanted to be Thomas Hart Benton, remained largely anonymous, needless to say! We had Art Deco before that, some people even collect that sort of art. Here are pages 37, 38, and 39 and as you stated, the influence shows. thumbdown.gif Sarge Booker

post-837-1224816508.jpg

post-837-1224816524.jpg

post-837-1224816828.jpg

The last 3 are classic regionalist. You can really see Bentons influence. There are collectors of all styles of 20th century art. WWI and WWII art were greatly influenced by the experiences of the 2 biggest wars ever fought. WWII brought to the United States the greatest artists of Europe trying to escape the Nazi's. Many were Jewish intelectuals. Marc Chagall, etc. It caused the abstract expressionist movement to develope in New York during the war and flowered through the 50's. Jackson Pollack, Motherwell, David Smith the sculptor,etc. All of these guys could trace their influences to the German Bauhaus school of art in Munich (Munchen) that was shut down by Hitler and his cronies. That institution built the first all glass facade building in the 20's.

The Nazi's wanted NeoRealistic paintings and sculptures. That was the prescribed art in Germany from 1933 to 1945. That is the reason you do not tell intellectual Germans today what art should be. The traces of the Nazi doctrine still rankles those folks and will get you an instant argument especially in Bavaria.

Oh well I am probably beginning to bore everyone. I love art history.

Steve