Remember The Alamo

dan

Headed there for my first time this Saturday. I have been wanting to go for over thirty years. I have been reading/boning up on the battle. Thanks for remembering the anniversary of the final attack and the sacrifices made by those that day! Kevin

I was fortunate enough to get there in conjunction with a business trip 6 years ago. It is a sacred and reverent place. Even though there is a big city built up around the Alamo, you won't be disappointed. The Daughters of the Republic of Texas do a fantastic job keeping the structures and the memory alive.

One tip... if you want to get an idea of what the original mission looked like, tour some of the other missions in San Antonio.

From what little is preserved of the Alamo, it is hard to picture it as a fort or defensive position. But if you look at the size and construction of the other missions just south of there, it makes much more sense.

Thanks for the tip, I will be sure to do that. It is amazing from what I am researching how much larger the interior of the fortifications were compared to the very small Church remaining today. One of the best graphics I have seen is an aerial shot of the church today and a "slider" where you can move the mouse and see the footprint of the original walls and out buildings at the time of the battle. It extends what looks like nearly one city block in three different directions.