American Red Cross 1st Lt's Coat

mccooper

Recently acquired a very nice American Red Cross 1st Lt.'s uniform, named. Where do I go to try to ID him and his activities? More below. Thank you.

mccooper

post-151387-0-94713300-1488758188.jpg

Dave-

Incredible! Thank you for the information - it all coordinates with the uniform as to assignment. If I understand the time line, he was in the ARC before getting his draft notice, so did not answer (or his brother did not). Since the investigation was not until 1921, I assume he was not found to be delinquent.

This does bring up another question. The report puts him on outpost service with the First Division. What does that mean, and it is it typical of the duties a Red Cross man would fulfill? I know zippo about their service in WWI, but want to learn more. Thank you.

mccooper

I saw this on the table at SOS on Friday afternoon, and apparently, just missed it, because the dealer said it had just been marked sold, and the man was coming back to get it! It was lying under another uniform on the end of the table, but the ARC overseas marks and the bright red collar insignia really popped to my eye! Great find, mccooper! Great id info too- I've collected WWI groups since 1982, and I've never seen another FBI reference! Great teamwork!

David

David-

Guess I was the "early bird." The uniform does have a good home, rest assured. And you are right - that FBI info was fantastic. Some prelimimary research does indicate exactly what is in the report - my thanks to Dave for the data. What I have not yet found is exactly what these ARC volunteers did. The man that wore this uniform was in real estate; what did he do for the troops at a 1st Division outpost? There is a story here.

mccooper

littlewilly

mrcooper:

Really nice uniform. To answer your question as to what they did in the divisions - they performed the same types of welfare work the other organizations like the YMCA, KC's and Salvation Army gave to the troops. Red Cross canteens were very popular. The Red Cross was not supposed to be involved with welfare work for the troops, having been designated a relief organization by the government, but the ARC had no problem throwing its weight around and doing what it liked. Like the YMCA it was able to supply the smaller organizations with transportation and needed articles for their work with the troops. The troops were very appreciative of what the Red Cross did for them. Sterling service to be sure! MHJ

littlewilly-

Thank you for the answer as to the ARC officers' role with the divisions; I appreciate knowing how they served. The volunteer story needs to be told in greater detail. All the best,

mccooper