Help dating M1 Garand

No Quarter

Hello, my buddy showed me his Dad's M1 Garand and he was curious of the date of manufacture and any other info I could get from the seriel number. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, what does the Arlington, VA stamp on the barrel mean?

Jacob

post-162535-0-20127500-1488745681_thumb.jpg

Based on the serial number, the receiver was made in March 1944. The stamp on the barrel is an "import stamp". When the gun became obsolete by U.S. standards, it was likely sold to another country. Years later, it was subsequently purchased by a U.S. distributor and imported back into the country. ATF requires these imported weapons be stamped as such.

Based on the serial number, the receiver was made in March 1944. The stamp on the barrel is an "import stamp". When the gun became obsolete by U.S. standards, it was likely sold to another country. Years later, it was subsequently purchased by a U.S. distributor and imported back into the country. ATF requires these imported weapons be stamped as such.

Thank you so much!

Jacob

Agree with Tim

Im guessing barrel has been changed at some point in its service life.There will be markings and maybe a date when the barrel was made.

rifle has gone through atleast one rebuild as it has post war parts. Pull back the op rod and date will be under it on the side of barrel for date of manufacture of the barrel