Bronze "Ruptured Duck" Plaque, Korea Vet

rrobertscv

If I remember correctly these were placed at the graves of service members (in this case Korean-era service) alongside the headstone. A metal stake would have been attached to the back.

That is what I thought it was. I would never remove anything from a grave, it was found just as you see it.

That is what I thought it was. I would never remove anything from a grave, it was found just as you see it.

I never held any suspicion that you were the one who removed it, it has likely changed many hands before it came to you. These plaques would disappear after a few years of being at a grave. Nowadays you would be hard-pressed to find an original plaque still at a grave. It all began when some twisted people got the idea to steal them and sell them to collectors, or sell them for the bronze. Once the other scum caught wind it just took off. The same went for the bronze American Legion plaques that served a similar purpose.

Disrespectful and disturbing if you ask me.

Brian Keith

Many cemeteries have banned the use of items outside the "footprint" of the headstone. Too hard to mow around. Unusual to see one marked with Korea. Thanks for saving it from the flea market and putting some respect back.

BKW

thebuzzardsloft

I am on the military honor guard for my area, and these are still used today at cemeteries across the country. They are actually flag holders, that identify a veteran is buried here and depending on the type, identify the person with their war service. Not used a lot any longer, but you will still see new ones occasionally. They have been used since the Civil War with CSA and GAR being some of those found in the early years, there are also Spanish America War, WWI, WWII, Korea, and some that are for the American Legion, VFW , Masons, etc.