Show your original WW2 photos of 'jeeps'

craig_pickrall

Hi Craig,

The Howie machine gun carrier is on display at the National Infantry Museum, Ft Benning. It is pretty crude but very interesting!

Charlie

General Apathy

Interestingly in posts # 7, 8 and 9 detailing the parts of a Jeep, they have completly missed off the the starter moter and generator from this side of the engine that they have shown, and replaced those two items with the petrol pump from the other side of the engine. Otherwise it looks a good breakdown of the Jeeps working parts, but it just shows you, that you have to look and question things when you are shown them, as much in wartime dated articles as with any other times. Cheers ( Lewis )

The son of a vet, Lt. Daroz just sent me this pic. He allowed me to divulge it on the Internet. Hope this is of interest.

The vehicle was photographed in Italy, September 1944, near the Massa-Carrara road.

Regards

Cesar.

post-19-1171213552.jpg

• 1 month later...

I found today these watermarked pics on ebay Germany. German soldiers seem to be very excited having captured a Willys (and a machete).

post-67-1174214089.jpg

post-67-1174214138.jpg

Charlie Flick

Hello Artu:

A very interesting set of photos, and a perspective that we don't often see. Too bad about the watermarks. They are a nuisance.

It is not possible to tell the unit ownership of a vehicle from the vehicle hood number. However, one can tell the vehicle ownership by the bumper markings that are applied. Unfortunately, in the pics I can not view the bumper clearly and it is partly obscured by the rope. Perhaps a close view of the originals would review this info.

Charlie

If someone is interested in purchasing, these pics are on ebay No.300090698161, 300090609545 and 300090698504. Auction will expire in 15-22 hours. I can help in translation from german.

It is not possible to tell the unit ownership of a vehicle from the vehicle hood number. However, one can tell the vehicle ownership by the bumper markings that are applied. Unfortunately, in the pics I can not view the bumper clearly and it is partly obscured by the rope. Perhaps a close view of the originals would review this info.

Charlie

That is correct. This jeep is a mid- to late production Willys MB.

Greetz ;)

David

There is evidence that the photos were posed, which was not at all uncommon. The image of the "tote" G.I. was taken after the group shots.

As to the bumper markings they appear to have been censored in the way often seen in "released" images.

Interesting images anyway.

Obviously pics are posed and the dead GI is a german acting as jeep driver, but what hit me is the childish happiness of these german soldiers. They are looking like kids with the last daddy brought toy and not vicious warriors.