Need crate help

Cary91

Hello all, I am hoping for some help, as I don't have endless funds, but I do have an endless supply of lumber being a carpenter I was hoping on making some reproduction crates for personal displays not for sale. Like I said I don't have endless funds so searching for and purchasing originals is just out of the question right now. Anyhow I was hoping someone with originals could help me. I am looking for photos and dimensions of the following crates

1) .30 cal large wooden packing crate (1344 rnds in bando's, 1200 rnds linked, or 1500 rnds in boxes). And if anyone has info on the metal inner packing container I would greatly appreciate it!

2) .30 cal small packing crate (384 rounds)

3) Mk II hand grenade crate

4) 2.36 bazooka crate

5) rifle grenade crate

I think that will do it for now. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!

-Cary

Hello

If you are not in a hurry I can help you with 2 and 3.

They are at my parent's house and won't go there until a month.

Here it is.

It has been painted over to be used again.

resize11.jpg
resize10.jpg
resize14.jpg
resize12.jpg
resize13.jpg

Here is an another crate so you see the original markings on the top.

_1210.jpg

90th ID reenacting group has a site that includes various DIY projects that includes tables, ordnance, weapons and etc. Might be worth a look.

I'll have to check out their page some more. Thank you for the bazooka crate dimensions very detailed! I appreciate you taking the time!

you are welcome.

Sorry I live in France and I am more used to the metric system.

I have a ruler with both system. I had to put one measurement in "cm" because I did not know what to write.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any info on the paper seals thay were put in the large .30 cal crates? This is the only picture I have been able to find of one. Any one else have pictures? Or any originals in their collection?

post-132797-0-25211600-1490157144.jpg

silverplate

Most of my WWII wooden packing boxes have the circular cutout for that paper seal. I noted the cutout on carbine, several .30 caliber, M1911, and shotgun boxes. A few had staples, but no seal. The exception was a .30 caliber armor piercing box from St. Louis Ordnance Plant. The lot number on the box dates it to mid-1943. At least 50% of the paper seal is present, and it appears to read just "Ordnance Dept". Here is a photo of that seal.

I couldn't find any specific reference to that seal in either of my copies of TM9-1900 Small Arms Ammunition, dated 1942 and 1947, Hope this helps.

Charlie

post-162630-0-94486200-1490234008_thumb.jpg

silverplate

I checked all my boxes and the cut-out is 1" in diameter and 1/4" deep. They are all at the joint where the lid meets the box body, but are in different locations on most of my examples. The location suggests a final inspectors seal, but again, I was unable to verify that in any of my printed manuals of the period.

After flipping through TM9-1900, I am assuming it was a tamper proof seal, and I quote

"After the contents are properly packed, each container is sealed

in some manner which will indicate whether or not the container has

been tampered with. The method of sealing depends upon the type

and construction of the container . Where metal strapping or wire

is used around boxes, other sear are not necessary and will nut be

used in the future."

Which make sense seeing as how you can clearly see that the box was closed and painted prior to application of the stamp.