WW1 Advertising Art by JC Leyendecker

338thRCT

Here are some advertising and magazine covers by the great early 20th century artist Joseph Christian Leyendecker. He did work for many popular magazines and newspapers, as well as page ads, and book illustration. post-70300-0-65581800-1488589305.jpgpost-70300-0-94589200-1488589321.jpgpost-70300-0-34608400-1488589345.jpg

<p>post-70300-0-53254900-1488589694_thumb.jpg There were some fantastic artists back then. Most spent years toiling under the scrutiny of fine-art masters in various schools and then hit the bricks hoping to make a living at the easel. Very few became rich or famous, but their works live on and are here for us to enjoy and marvel at.</p>

J. C. Leyendecker was one of the best ever - no doubt! His younger brother Frank was also an artist but not as talented (see image) or financially successful. He lived the last year of his life in Norman Rockwell's garage apartment. As my pa used to say; "There are easier ways to starve to death than becoming an artist."

post-156147-0-92351000-1488590945.jpg

world war I nerd

Leyendecker is one of my favorite artists. Ironically he was a German born immigrant, yet he painted dozens of patriotic war posters during both World Wars.

I'm pretty sure that his artwork was an inspiration to, and influenced Norman Rockwell.

• 2 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

One of those is an excerpt of my favorite recruiting poster by Leyendecker, artwork courtesy of the USN Archives

4 inch gun.jpg

We take the images of women in uniform for granted today. But back in 1915, this would have been disturbing for a lot of people who did not see a role for women at a wartime front.

Keep in mind, women did not even have the right to vote until 1920. Jumping on train and then a transport to an overseas warzone was unthinkable for some.

Here's another of his WW2 portraits. It looks ( to me at least) like Gen Holland Smith;he has the MOH ribbon, but no mustache. I really don't know as there was no caption to the picture where I found it.post-70300-0-02533300-1491141594.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Here's another of his WW2 portraits. It looks ( to me at least) like Gen Holland Smith;he has the MOH ribbon, but no mustache. I really don't know as there was no caption to the picture where I found it.attachicon.gif651beba0c89f6f02504fb8ed161aa112.jpg

That's General Alexander Archer Vandegrift , MOH Guadalcanal

• 2 months later...