photos of an unknown US Navy ship - USS Dover (IX 30) ex USS Wilmington (PG 8)

kyhistorian01

kyhistorian01

Can anyone help me ID the ship in these pics. I am guessing WWII or just before. never seen a small ship like this had smaller deck guns on either side of the open bridge. Any help appreciated.

post-6492-0-31458900-1488509434_thumb.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Can anyone help me ID the ship in these pics. I am guessing WWII or just before. never seen a small ship like this had smaller deck guns on either side of the open bridge. Any help appreciated.

Aloha,

Interesting set of photos. I'd also say circa 1940, probably a coastal defense or patrol gunboat/subchaser type pre-WWII. Wood decks, open bridge and flying bridge, narrow hull, low freeboard....Large wartime complement, about 120 officers and crew (and one dog), fairly large for that size vessel. Note in the first photo you posted that she also has depth charges lashed to the deck and gun lockers under the bridge (ammo for the guns). This was typical in 1939 to 1942 as older, smaller vessels and Auxiliaries were armed and pressed into coastal convoy and harbor defense duties. Even Fleet Tugs (ATF) had roll-off depth charge racks on their fantails.

• 2 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

USS Dover (IX 30) ex USS Wilmington (PG 8) 1942 http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/09008.htm

Nice job tracking that one down. I knew it was a PG but didn't check the IX hulls. These photos were probably taken by a crewmember with a Brownie or similar camera including the Pic 2 crew shot taken next to the official photographer's shot.

120900814.jpg