Parris Island dog mascot cemetary

SgtMaddoxUSMC

SgtMaddoxUSMC

While exploring around Parris Island today (a kid who used to work for me is graduating recruit training tomorrow) I found this across from the Base Commander's quarters and thought it was pretty cool and figured I'd share! Here are the graves of eight different depot mascots (one is listed as being buried PA)

post-133515-0-46179400-1488503051_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

The main monument is dedicated to Mike 1905 - 1916, here is a close-up of the plaque "Service honest and faithful"

post-133515-0-25824100-1488504181.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Just found this online: ( http://www.thestate.com/news/local/military/article41704767.html

The largest of the cemeteries’ markers is the monument to Mike, an Irish terrier and the first Parris Island mascot, who served from 1915 until 1916. Mike, born in 1905, pulled tours of duty in Cuba in 1909, at Annapolis in 1910 and landed at Vera Cruz, Mexico, with the Marines in 1914. The following year he moved to Parris Island and became the depot’s first mascot.
Mascots are now considered to be active-duty Marines and are expected to conduct themselves with courage, professionalism and vigor. They are rewarded with awards and promotions. The current mascot is a bulldog named Legend.
Other depot mascots have been Snoopy, Blitz, Getchy, Duke O’Strathmore, Duke, Judge, Skipper, Sir Lord Windsor, Sarge, Iron Mike, Hubert The Valiant, Klinker, Paul Bunyan, Baron, Chesty, Thor, Iron Mike (a different bulldog) and Archibald Hummer.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

That is super cool! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for posting these - very nice

Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed!

usmcaviator

I was talking to some of the bubbas at the USMC museum the other day and asked if anyone had ever done a consolidated listing of graves, markers and monuments to Marines, mascots and units. There is no one source on the subject. Scattered cemeteries, hidden nooks on USMC bases, an inconspicuous plaque on a house.......a project that someone should take on and would probably involve some traveling!! I've been debating to start up as one of my research projects or a future book.

Mike

Why did they all die so quickly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like the dates on the tombstones may be the dates they served not the dates they were alive.. If you look at the write up on the first dog who served from 1915-1916, he was a mascot at other places for 10 years prior to be coming the mascot at the depot.

Ahhh ok I had wondered if that was the case but didn't look more deeply into it.

That would make more sense.. otherwise I'd question why every USMC mascot dog seemed to pass away after 6-9 years. lol

really cool remembrance area/cemetery.

-Brian