Netflix WWII Documentary "Five Came Back"

McDermut99

This looks to be a very interesting documentary coming down the pipe. I'm very fond of the films of these five directors, so it'll be interesting to know how the war influenced them and their films The only downside is that it will be available on Netflix only.

fcb_us2-691x1024.jpg

Charlie Flick

I will probably watch it. It is based on the book by the same name which came out in 2014. Hollywood loves to talk about its favorite subject: Hollywood.

Charlie

Five Came Back book.jpg

I will probably watch it. It is based on the book by the same name which came out in 2014. Hollywood loves to talk about its favorite subject: Hollywood.

Charlie

Very true. I'm not very thrilled about the fact that I'm going to have to listen to Meryl Streep narrate the whole time but nothing can be done about that.

Garandomatic

Hate to say it, but i don't think I'm going to listen to Meryl Streep.

Very true. I'm not very thrilled about the fact that I'm going to have to listen to Meryl Streep narrate the whole time but nothing can be done about that.

• 1 month later...
CNY Militaria

I just finished the three part series on Netflix, and I highly recommend it. I was left nearly speechless at the end. I learned a lot about a different side of the wartime era that most probably don't know about. The discussion alone about the impact of war on these directors and service members as a whole makes the series worthwhile.

I'm just getting into the series and, despite having to hear the voice of Streep, it is good. I think you will come away with well deserved respect for these directors who voluntarily put their lives in danger. It would be great to see a series on Hollywood actors who were in the military and served in harm's way.

I heard the NPR interview with the author of the book. Looking forward to watching the films.

BILL THE PATCH

Not her voice, I think they mean her political views, and I agree.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

What's the issue with Meryl Streep narrating? Can't say I found anything wrong with her voice.

The issues stems from the political comments she made during the Golden Globe Awards ceremony. The general opinion held by those who objected is that her comments were inappropriate in that situation.

Garandomatic

I personally do not care for extremes on either side. I'd feel similar if a very vocal and/or extreme conservative did the job. Takes away from the presentation, in my opinion. America: The Story of Us suffered from that. Lots of at times fairly vacuous celebrities and modern day excuses for politicians talking about history. It'll work in clips in my classroom for the attention span of high schoolers, but that's the extent of that. Different topic though. I may give this a chance, but like I said, I am sick of both sides.

I personally do not care for extremes on either side. I'd feel similar if a very vocal and/or extreme conservative did the job. Takes away from the presentation, in my opinion. America: The Story of Us suffered from that. Lots of at times fairly vacuous celebrities and modern day excuses for politicians talking about history. It'll work in clips in my classroom for the attention span of high schoolers, but that's the extent of that. Different topic though. I may give this a chance, but like I said, I am sick of both sides.

I agree. The Story of Us would have been a pretty good documentary if not for all the commentary by the politicians and celebrities. They had people on there who probably first learned about the events they were commenting on when they read the script!

In the realm of educational purposes, I would say that Five Came Back is a good resource. I've observed that the typical junior high and high school student (being a student myself) has very limited exposure to current politics, so the fact that it's narrated by Streep probably won't cause much interference with the intended educational effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished the three episodes tonight. Very good and enjoyable film. Interesting how the war both before and after impacted on their work. I seem to recall that much of the color D-Day film was lost and hadn't been found as of a few years back. It would be fascinating to see the stuff that didn't make the finished product.

Watched it today. Excellent documentary. These 5 Directors made a great contribution to the US war effort and put their money where their mouths were, all serving in uniform and right up where the action was. If you're a WWII history junky I think you'll really enjoy it. Hollywood of the 40's was not like it is today. Bobgee

hbtcoveralls

The Documentary didn't thrill me.

Most of the the information presented is well known by WWII buffs and old hollywood types as well

The footage is familiar with little new information presented

The film makers make one collossal blunder when they are describing a B-25 with a B-24 on the screen

It's just more Hollywood self-congratulation.

That doesn't take away from what the directors did by chucking in lucrative careers to join up, but lets face it they weren't the only ones who put life on hold to win the war

Tom Bowers

I didn't want to be the first to say it. I started watching it last night and eventually turned it off about 45 minutes in. I'll try to finish it on another day.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't want to be the first to say it. I started watching it last night and eventually turned it off about 45 minutes in. I'll try to finish it on another day.

I really enjoyed it but I will admit that episodes 2 & 3 were way better than the 1st. To me, it was an interesting take on WWII. Plus, I'm a big film buff, so there's a little bias there too. It shed a lot of light on a lot of the films to come out of WWII.

I really enjoyed it but I will admit that episodes 2 & 3 were way better than the 1st. To me, it was an interesting take on WWII. Plus, I'm a big film buff, so there's a little bias there too. It shed a lot of light on a lot of the films to come out of WWII.

I completely agree! I wasn't hooked at the end of episode one, but two and three were Amazing!!!

Watched it today. Excellent documentary. These 5 Directors made a great contribution to the US war effort and put their money where their mouths were, all serving in uniform and right up where the action was. If you're a WWII history junky I think you'll really enjoy it. Hollywood of the 40's was not like it is today. Bobgee

Finally got a chance to watch this over the weekend. It is an excellent and very well done documentary. These men most certainly did give up lucrative careers in Hollywood to serve our country. Their filming did more for the war effort than is widely known. It was also interesting that the war affected them so much that it changed their films being directed after the war. I loved how Wyler punched the hotel bell hop in the face. I also found it interesting how he permanently lost his hearing after one flight in a B-25. Makes you wonder how anyone who flew in a B-25 could hear after the war.

Most of the the information presented is well known by WWII buffs and old hollywood types as well

The footage is familiar with little new information presented

The film makers make one collossal blunder when they are describing a B-25 with a B-24 on the screen

It's just more Hollywood self-congratulation.

That doesn't take away from what the directors did by chucking in lucrative careers to join up, but lets face it they weren't the only ones who put life on hold to win the war

Tom Bowers

The war ended 72 years ago so there is going to be very little combat footage that has not already been viewed. However, there is ALWAYS something new to learn. While there was one scene where they showed the incorrect airplane, that was one small incident in a 3 hour series. I never once thought it was a “Hollywood self congratulation” documentary. I agree that these men were not the only ones to give up lucrative careers to serve in the military. However, this is an interesting story of a vital part of the war and is unknown to many people.

...Kat