Value of this unusual Civil War era item?

First, I want to say that the photo I am using is just an image I pulled from the internet, for informational purposes, not the actual item. Got a call from a friend last night, he is a fairly well known singer, and currently out on tour, but also a collector of just about anything that catches his eye. It is one of those deals where he gets lots of things given to him. Someone gave him a Civil War era tombstone. IT WAS NEVER USED AND IS UNMARKED, just want to make that clear, We think it was never used, because of the chip on it, it is chipped in the area I marked with red. It does have the shield shape, but that is the only carving ever done to it. Can someone give me a ballpark figure on the value of something like this, I have searched, but can't find anything else like it. When he gets back I will try to get a photo of the actual stone.

Thanks

post-285-0-16288300-1488376732.jpg

Doesn't appear to have been scrapped off, this was the first question I asked, due to the nature of this item.

Several years ago there was a Civil War Veterans marker at a local auction.It was in the back yard and used as a small bench/table in a covered flower garden.It hadnt been used or removed as you didnt see a ground line on it from being set.It was named and unit marked.Dont recall but may have been IA,Ill,or Wis,.I would have bought it but didnt stay at the auction.Im guessing it was ordered and never set or used or possibly it had an error on it and a replacement was sent?

A guy here has a bronze marker to a WW1 Arkansas vet.It was found in an abandoned house.It hasnt been used as well.He wants to sell it but is hesitant as he doesnt know that much about it but does know repacement cost.