Northrop A-17

Old Man

The A-17 was derived from the Gamma single engine transport. When it went into service in May, 1937 with the U.S.A.A.C. it was one of the most modern aircraft in that service. It was considered obsolescent by the end of 1939, however, so rapidly did aviation engineering and tactical concepts progress in that period. Soon after it entered service, it was supplemented by a variant with retracting landing gear, the A-17A.

The kit is the MPM A-17 in 1/72 scale. The squadron emblem is a home-made decal, as are the ID numbers on the fin. The 74th Attack was well photographed at Panama, it seems to have been the subject of a magazine article, and this model is based on one of those photographs.

Hey OM, you did a very nice job with that plane. I like the colors and decals. They make the plane really stand out.

Semper Fi.

Manny

A little known aircraft, always great to see a builder offer "something different". It presents a nice appearance, well built and painted. What did you use to paint the model?

Thank you very much, Gentlemen.

I've always liked the look of this aircraft (though the cowling seems a bit under-sized taken with the whole of the thing), and it lies close to the ancestral line of the SDB Dauntless. And of course the 'blue and yellow' scheme of the peacetime USAAC is a favorite.

It is brush-painted. The yellow is Model Master Reefer Yellow acrylic cut with a touch of red. I had to improvise much more on the blue. I was coming off a period of poor health when I took this one up, and all my good blues had dried up. I used artist's tube acrylics, mixing ultramarine blue with some titanium white and a bit of mars black, and some water. I've used this stuff on figures, and for small bits on models, but had never done a large part of a plane with it. Don't think I will again, it's not very durable, and a lot of touching up was needed. I mix some Future into the paints; it gets rid of brush strokes. I also tend to rub each coat down with a 3000 grit polishing pad.

I'm currently working on a Martin YB-10, on air mail duty early in 1934. Will post up some pictures when done.

Proud Kraut

The paintjob on this bird is outstanding! I like the very decent (right term?) weathering! Thanks for sharing your great work!

Lars