2-in-1: Navy DSC Question and Ribbon ID Help

stratasfan

Hi, All! I've found a new "hero", and am really wanting to plan a framed display about him. However, he got an award of which I know nothing about. The Distinguished Service Cross. Is there a Naval version? Also, what would a good price range be for an old one and a new one (if you can get one). Is there a mini-medal option?

Second, any help with identifying the ribbons he is wearing would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to All!

post-151812-0-79786500-1488121930_thumb.jpg

That is a super photograph. Not that many DSCs are recorded to Navy Personnel for WW2 around 20, and of that even fewer to Navy Enlisted personnel.

Oh, I forgot the name. This is Chuck Claybourn! ;) Thanks for the help with the DSC and it not having a Navy version!

Here is Claybourn's citation:

CLAYBOURN, CHARLES V. (POW)
Citation:
The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Charles V. Claybourn (3722-1754), Seaman First Class, U.S. Navy, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy while held as a Prisoner of War, near Sindangan, Mindanao, Philippine Islands, on 7 September 1944. When an enemy vessel transporting American prisoners of war was torpedoed, killing or injuring many men in the stifling hold, Seaman First Class Claybourn with great presence of mind immediately established order among the survivors. After lifting a heavy steel beam which had pinned down one man he led the stunned group toward the hatch opening. Met by a withering hail of rifle fire from frenzied enemy guards on the deck of the rapidly sinking ship, Seaman First Class Claybourn instead of seeking escape undauntedly and courageously braved the fire unarmed in an effort to lead his group to safety. Evading every desperate measure of the frantic enemy to prevent him from rescuing his comrades, he conducted the wounded men to the side of the ship and remained until all had leaped into the water. While maddened enemy soldiers continued to fire on the defenseless and floundering men, he swam about with complete disregard for his life, helping the injured to keep afloat, pushing them toward floating timbers or bits of debris, shouting encouragement, and guiding the survivors shoreward. At length, despite utter physical exhaustion, he succeeded in bringing the group to shore, where they were assisted by Filipino guerrillas and ultimately returned to our forces. Seaman First Class Claybourn's daring leadership, complete fearlessness, and intrepidity in repeatedly risking his life to aid his companions were responsible for saving many lives and were an inspiration to his stricken comrades.
War Department, General Orders No. 8 (February 7, 1945)

Isn't his story amazing? I got a newspaper page downloaded yesterday because this sailor talks about burying another sailor that I was looking up. So, I saved the page, and now wish I had saved the whole story. I'm going back to get the rest soon! They interviewed him and he starts at the beginning, when they went into the trenches on the PI. What an amazing story!

So, now I found a new hero. ;) He has nine ribbons, though,as well as the PUC with the OLCs. I just can't tell many in black-and-white. I suppose it comes with practice!

Dang, that is a great one! Did you get the original picture? I think I may have to do up a display for this hero. Dern, that just what I needed another project to not get finished! LOL

You should be able to get a descent WWW era DSC for $75 or so or a modern (I don't like them) about $30.

Mark

Great story, thanks for posting it. A real Navy family. His wife was a WAVE and their oldest son, who passed last year, was a Master Chief that served 33 years.

Their medals are certainly cared for by a proud family.

Great story about the celebration he and his buddies had after their liberation-

"The Saturday Evening Post carried a short squib about him written by Lt. Gail M. Raphael. After the survivors reached Brisbane, Australia, they discovered they had two years back pay coming to them and felt a lively urge to throw a party. Thirty five Americans, joined by several Aussies convalescing in the area, decided to spend their unexpected wealth on a real celebration. The story goes on:

"But their plan hit an early snag. No place could be found in which to stage it. Party-wise hotel managers shook their heads sadly. No space available for such a gathering, they said, no space at all. The war, you know.

"And then one night shortly before their departure, they got a break. They met a stranger who didn't merely manage a hotel, he owned one. Furthermore, he was anxious to sell it. The price was 900 pounds, or about $3600. Divided among more than 40 boys, less than $90 each. "So they bought the hotel, and the party lasted for three nights and two days. On the morning of the third day, the boys emerged, tired and triumphant, but a little puzzled as to what to do with their hotel now.

"They were standing in front of it in a group when a very pretty blonde started up the block in their direction. They looked at her, then at one another, then nodded solemnly.

"As she came up to them, the first man's arms closed around her. He planted a resounding kiss on her cheek and passed her on to the next. One by one, before she could protest, each man gave her a similar token of admiration. And when they were all through, THEY GAVE HER THE HOTEL."

Charles married Genevieve Isabelle Martin on 22 September 1945 in Philadelphia. She served as a Storekeeper Second Class in the U.S. Navy from September 1944 to February 1946. After World War II Charles and Genevieve settled in Kingsport, Tennessee, and had the five children listed below. Charles was a sales manager of a factory which manufactured one-way opaque glass. Charles died 15 November 1986, and Genevieve passed away on 13 February 1992. Both are buried at Beaufort National Cemetery in South Carolina."

http://www.claybourn.org/harry_d_carl_claybourn.html

collectsmedals

That is a great story with lots of supporting documentation. If I saw a Navy jumper with that combination of ribbons I would have thought it was a put together, clearly not the case here.

One other interesting thing I noticed, he is wearing what appears to be an Army Presidential Unit Citation with two oak leaves on it over his right pocket.

This really was an amazing story and really an amazing view of God's protection, when you read his heroic escape from the Japanese ship! Just stumbled over him looking for someone else, and now I am really going to have to work on making a little display. :) I love this hobby! It really is never ending!

As to the Unit Citations . . . here is a little paragraph from the article I found (that started all this! ;) )

post-151812-0-27170100-1488201932.jpg

So, you are right. He got three.

Good idea about the FOIA request. I'll do that and see if I get anything back.

I found another picture of him wearing his ribbons. This says it was from 1946. Does this help with the ribbons at all?

post-151812-0-30768500-1488202087_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for the help!

WOW! What a great story of a great hero! Just fantastic! Thank you for posting AND your great attention to preserving military history. Bob

Just a thought . . . would he have had the POW medal?

​POW medal wasn't authorized till the 80's. He, family, would retroactively receive it.Put he/they would have to apply for it.