• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 otter42

otter42
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,732
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

Ok, so I'm on the road a lot for my work, and started a photo file of military vehicles, planes, or whatever.  I have wanted to start this post for some time, because I know there are others out there that can't pass up getting a pic of anything military passing by.  I live in an area that doesn't have a large military presence, so these may seem lame to some of you, but I just love seeing these on the hwy, and always try to snap a pic or two.  Ok, let's see your photo's!  Ken

Attached Images

• 4 11 13 003 (2).jpg
  • DSCN2870.jpg
  • IMG_3076.jpg

#2 otter42

otter42
  • Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:45 AM

more:

Attached Images

• IMG_3075.jpg
  • DSCN2772.jpg

#3 otter42

otter42
  • Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:47 AM

Not sure if the screw is Navy or not, just thought it too cool to pass.

Attached Images

• pics 099.jpg
  • IMG_3163.jpg

#4 otter42

otter42
  • Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:48 AM

Sorry this one is so bad, but I wanted to show the 4 wheeler.

Attached Images

• DSCN2869.jpg

#5 northcoastaero

northcoastaero
  • Members
    • Member ID: 43,193
  • 910 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

The aircraft appears to be a Chinese built Nanchang CJ-6 series trainer in Russian markings?

https://en.wikipedia...i/Nanchang_CJ-6

The screw may not be Navy because it would probably be covered with some sort of tarp so that
the design/shape could not be seen, especially with submarine screws.

I once saw an earlier variant of a U.S. Army AH-1 Huey Cobra being transported. It was probably
on its way to a museum.

Interesting topic!

Edited by northcoastaero, 25 February 2017 - 11:16 AM.

#6 otter42

otter42
  • Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for response, didn't know for sure what the plane was, I got some great close up shots of it, but I had my camera on video!!! Can't wait to see some other members photos.  Ken

#7 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,506
  • 16,542 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:11 PM

When I was a kid in the 60's I tried to keep my camera handy on road trips.  I always got excited when I saw US Army vehicles on the road.  Thinking back, these were most likely Reserve and National Guard convoys deploying for summer camp.  For some reason I thought they were on their way to some great adventure, which was probably rarely the case.

One photo I missed was when we were up in the Niagara Falls area in the 1960's at a road stop.  Parked near the edge was a strange looking craft on the back of a truck.  I later realized it was a Bell Hovercraft, quite possibly an experimental version headed to their test facility.  At the time it did not have military markings, but I knew it had to be something special.

More recently, I was traveling I-29 from Kansas City to Omaha when I passed an artillery unit on a road march.  It looked like the unit had finished training and was heading home.  I thought about getting ahead of them and photographing them.  But then I thought about how ridiculous I probably would have looked to the young men and women of the unit snapping their photos as they went by!

#8 otter42

otter42
  • Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:18 PM

Gil,

Thanks for the input, I know sometimes I feel stupid taking pics, but it doesn't stop me, guess even at 59 I'm still a kid at heart!  Ken

#9 BillW

BillW
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 177,774
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:42 PM

OK so this may sound a little out there but once as a kid we were driving past China Lake Naval Station (circa 1960s) and I swear I saw a "Flying Saucer" parked near a hangar.. Thinking back on it now it resembles some of those experimental aircraft that never made it into production. As I recall it was fairly small and had an open cockpit probably a 2 seater. I have seen some footage of a prototype making test flights that looks like it could have been the aircraft I saw. According to the video I saw the aircraft was so unstable that it was abandoned.

The point being was that I wish I had a camera at the time. Oh well water under the bridge now.

#10 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:40 AM

I swear i saw a WWI British mark? Something or other tank on a semi trailer when i was about 10. That was cool!

#11 Waltz41

Waltz41
  • Members
    • Member ID: 89,245
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:26 AM

Every couple months when I go to the Allentown Gun and Militaria show, up Rt. 309 from my house, I get to see a British light armored car that just sits at the end of a garage's property on the road.  It's been there for many years.  No idea on the back story of it. Kind of a 'landmark' I get used to seeing :-)  

#12 huntssurplus

huntssurplus
  • Members
    • Member ID: 165,862
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:35 AM

While it may not be exactly military when they were transporting the space shuttle to the Udvar-Hazy center in Dulles Virginia I was able to see the shuttle as it flew overhead towards it's final destination!

Hunt

#13 pathfinder505

pathfinder505
  • Members
    • Member ID: 197
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:43 AM

While it may not be exactly military when they were transporting the space shuttle to the Udvar-Hazy center in Dulles Virginia I was able to see the shuttle as it flew overhead towards it's final destination!

Hunt

I flew into Dulles after it arrived and saw it sitting on the tarmac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users