What You See Going Past On The Highway of LIfe

otter42

Ok, so I'm on the road a lot for my work, and started a photo file of military vehicles, planes, or whatever. I have wanted to start this post for some time, because I know there are others out there that can't pass up getting a pic of anything military passing by. I live in an area that doesn't have a large military presence, so these may seem lame to some of you, but I just love seeing these on the hwy, and always try to snap a pic or two. Ok, let's see your photo's! Ken

post-4732-0-29789800-1488047865_thumb.jpg

post-4732-0-49514300-1488048183_thumb.jpg

post-4732-0-78644000-1488048200_thumb.jpg

northcoastaero

The aircraft appears to be a Chinese built Nanchang CJ-6 series trainer in Russian markings?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanchang_CJ-6

The screw may not be Navy because it would probably be covered with some sort of tarp so that

the design/shape could not be seen, especially with submarine screws.

I once saw an earlier variant of a U.S. Army AH-1 Huey Cobra being transported. It was probably

on its way to a museum.

Interesting topic!

Thanks for response, didn't know for sure what the plane was, I got some great close up shots of it, but I had my camera on video!!! Can't wait to see some other members photos. Ken

When I was a kid in the 60's I tried to keep my camera handy on road trips. I always got excited when I saw US Army vehicles on the road. Thinking back, these were most likely Reserve and National Guard convoys deploying for summer camp. For some reason I thought they were on their way to some great adventure, which was probably rarely the case.

One photo I missed was when we were up in the Niagara Falls area in the 1960's at a road stop. Parked near the edge was a strange looking craft on the back of a truck. I later realized it was a Bell Hovercraft, quite possibly an experimental version headed to their test facility. At the time it did not have military markings, but I knew it had to be something special.

More recently, I was traveling I-29 from Kansas City to Omaha when I passed an artillery unit on a road march. It looked like the unit had finished training and was heading home. I thought about getting ahead of them and photographing them. But then I thought about how ridiculous I probably would have looked to the young men and women of the unit snapping their photos as they went by!

Gil,

Thanks for the input, I know sometimes I feel stupid taking pics, but it doesn't stop me, guess even at 59 I'm still a kid at heart! Ken

• 11 months later...

OK so this may sound a little out there but once as a kid we were driving past China Lake Naval Station (circa 1960s) and I swear I saw a "Flying Saucer" parked near a hangar.. Thinking back on it now it resembles some of those experimental aircraft that never made it into production. As I recall it was fairly small and had an open cockpit probably a 2 seater. I have seen some footage of a prototype making test flights that looks like it could have been the aircraft I saw. According to the video I saw the aircraft was so unstable that it was abandoned.

The point being was that I wish I had a camera at the time. Oh well water under the bridge now.

Every couple months when I go to the Allentown Gun and Militaria show, up Rt. 309 from my house, I get to see a British light armored car that just sits at the end of a garage's property on the road. It's been there for many years. No idea on the back story of it. Kind of a 'landmark' I get used to seeing :-)

While it may not be exactly military when they were transporting the space shuttle to the Udvar-Hazy center in Dulles Virginia I was able to see the shuttle as it flew overhead towards it's final destination!

Hunt

pathfinder505

While it may not be exactly military when they were transporting the space shuttle to the Udvar-Hazy center in Dulles Virginia I was able to see the shuttle as it flew overhead towards it's final destination!

Hunt

I flew into Dulles after it arrived and saw it sitting on the tarmac