Named 1932 Silver Star

MMcollector

I am purchasing this Named SS engraved L-E-O W. A-L-B-E-R-S. I am trying to confirm which veteran earned this medal. There are 2 men wth this name that fought in WWI. Here is the info I have on both veterans. If anyone has a way to confirm the SS I would really appreciate it.

post-134470-0-80290000-1488016023_thumb.jpg

I would say the 1st Div Veteran. The 2nd Veteran states that no medals were awarded on the headstone application.

Lots of Silver Medals in the 1st Div AEF.

I did some looking in the 1st , 2nd and 3rd Divisions index of citations. There is only one Leo W Albers that received a Silver Star Citation/Silver Star Medal.

Private Leo W Albers, Company D, 2nd Engineers, 2nd Division.

Well Done!, a 2nd Division Silver Star, definitely worth more research.

The Ohio reference shows the first man assigned to a replacement unit until March 1919 when he was transferred to the 6th FA, then doing occupation duty in the Coblenz area. So the recipient must almost certainly be the second Albers, 2nd Engr. The style of engraving would indicate a late award, perhaps early 40s.

From "The Indiana Book of Merit". Unfortunately the entire page isn't available online but a large public library should have a copy. It might even have a photo of the recipient. (I use the copy at the main branch of the LA public library.)

post-10651-0-08105800-1488068260_thumb.jpg

I would say the 1st Div Veteran. The 2nd Veteran states that no medals were awarded on the headstone application.

Lots of Silver Medals in the 1st Div AEF.

Well I was wrong!! LOL

Don't pay attention to the "none" for medals listed on the application. LOL ?

Please disregard. Here's the image.

Send me your email address and I'll send you a scan of Albers' complete entry in the Indiana Book of Merit. There is a photo of him in it as well as biographical info.

post-920-0-94104500-1488122413_thumb.jpg

Please disregard. Here's the image.

Wow thanks!!!!!!

Also thanks to everyone else for the input on this Silver Star. I'm keeping this one in my personal collection. I love how much help everyone volunteers!