Named WWII B-29 Bomber Aviation Grouping

stealthytyler

Great looking group. Curious the summer weight helmet is typically a navy helmet, the AN6552 with a Navy N288 order number. The Navy does not have have the AAF typical oxygen hookups. The Navy Helmet has buckles the A-11 has snap attachments

I have a ETO 8th AAF group to a gunner who also used a USN flight helmet.

northcoastaero

I was told several years ago by a collector of WWII USN flight gear that the buckles

on each side of the AN6542-2 and other cloth/leather USN helmets from the same era

were originally for an optional chin cup. Possibly the same chin cup as found on the

NAF 1092S, NAF 1092, NAF 1092W, M-450, and M-450-1 helmets. The collector said that

he found the information in an official WWII manual or document. I always thought the

buckles were for the oxygen mask face piece straps that were used with the MSA, etc.

re-breather units from the early war time frame before the installation of oxygen

bottles in the aircraft. In my opinion, the buckles were most likely for the

re-breather mask face piece straps. I had a complete MSA re-breather unit new in

the box at one time. There was a set of head straps that went around the entire

head and secured to itself without attaching to the flight helmet. There was also

another set of straps in which the two lower straps had leather tabs with holes to

attach to the chin cup buckles on the sides of the early war helmets such as the

M-450, etc. This set of straps also had an upper pair of straps with attachments

on the ends that would secure to modified receptacles that were sewn/tacked onto

each side of the helmet near the top. The two buckles found on the later war

USN/USMC helmets such as the AN6542-2, etc. were often removed and snaps were

installed on each side for oxygen mask attachment. The mask that eventually

replaced the re-breather units was probably the USN/USMC configured A-14.

Hope this helps.

doinworkinvans

Just awesome!!!! You don't often see marked recievers!

And helmets with all the bells and whistles...great stuff!

Plus it's B29 material...dosent get much better

stealthytyler

I think I am going to have to sell this group here in the next few days. So typical, a grouping that fits my main interest popped up so I need to reallocate funds a bit! If anyone is interested then PM me or just wait a few days before I list it. Thanks

• 1 month later...