78 replies to this topic

#26 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

I literally spent next to nothing.

About half a dozen items would have been mine I'd the seller decided to be at the table any of the half dozen times i stopped back to each. French WWI helmet is all i found, but i did have a good time at the end meeting some of the vets.

#27 Thisisme

Thisisme
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,953
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:38 PM

Did not find much this year.

Why do dealers NOT but prices on their items and then leave their booth with nobody that knows any prices?

Did not buy any empty WWII Air medal cases this year.  One dealer used to have them really cheap from a large hoard but did not see his booth this year.

#28 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:49 PM

Ditto that on not pricing anything. I walk in past. Feeling a bit disappointed, to be honest. I had twice the luck at Wilmington in June and November.

#29 jeffs1130

jeffs1130
  • Members
    • Member ID: 163,305
  • 320 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

Great show! Been there 5 times, but this was my first time back since 2013!  Was even better than I remember!

Took my friend and me 3 hours to walk it one time on Friday!!  Would defiantly stay 2 days next time!  

Also got to meet the world famous Tarbridge! His table would put some Museum collections to shame! Very cool stuff!

-Jeff

#30 Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane
  • Members
    • Member ID: 154,922
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

Medal of Honor recipient Sammy L Davis saying goodbye to Doolittle Raider Lt Col. Richard "Dick" Cole, at the closing of the OVMS Military Collectibles Show. Two American heroes.

Attached Images

• coleIMG_2567IMG_2567.JPG

#31 dskjl

dskjl
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,016
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

Some of the finds from the show.

I will post individual pics later in the week.

Attached Images

• _IMG_1170.jpg
  • _IMG_1171.jpg
  • IMG_1176.jpg

#32 dskjl

dskjl
  • Members
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:31 PM

Couple more

Attached Images

• IMG_1176.jpg
  • _IMG_1175.jpg

#33 dskjl

dskjl
  • Members
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

This was my 1st trip to the SOS and it was really great particularly because of getting the opportunity to meet so many of our forum members but also because of the incredible support, and friendship they provided. I was there by myself and never felt alone, what a great group, thank you all for making this such a wonderful experience.

#34 uniformcollector

uniformcollector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,949
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:29 PM

This was my 1st trip to the SOS and it was really great particularly because of getting the opportunity to meet so many of our forum members but also because of the incredible support, and friendship they provided. I was there by myself and never felt alone, what a great group, thank you all for making this such a wonderful experience.

Wow! A lot of brass for one weekend!

#35 Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane
  • Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:56 AM

Only 360 days to OVMS 2018.

#36 doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 96,964
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:28 AM

Can't wait to hear more on those air force fellas!!! Great haul!

I am suprised more people haven't posted on the thread about the show and their finds....

#37 Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane
  • Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:00 AM

Medal of Honor recipient Sammy L Davis saying goodbye to Doolittle Raider Lt Col. Richard "Dick" Cole, at the closing of the OVMS Military Collectibles Show 2017. It was touching to see the genuine respect that Sgt Davis showed for Lt Col. Cole, making it a point to spend a few minutes with the WW2 aviator before he left the hall. Two American heroes.

Attached Images

• coleIMG_2567IMG_2567.JPG

#38 BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria
  • Members
    • Member ID: 52,765
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:05 PM

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#39 BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria
  • Members
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

#40 BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria
  • Members
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

#41 BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria
  • Members
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

Posted Image

#42 BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria
  • Members
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

Wish I could have taken more but I didn't get away from my table very much once I was set up (that's a good thing !)

#43 CombatEng44

CombatEng44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 13,455
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:44 AM

Almost 3 times better sales than any previous year for us.  I think that the weather had a lot to do with it because we are in front of the big doors and no one comes to buy Wed or 1/2 of Thursday if it is cold. People just won't stand at your table and look when the wind, snow, rain is blowing in. The wind is brutal.

I bought less than I ever have and did not seem to get in gear myself until Saturday. I heard people complaining about not having the public in more. Not sure if that was a problem or not.

What are opinions of letting the "lifers" in on Wednesday? I'm mixed. My sales were way up but it was a real challenge to get set up and sell at the same time. We did have a piece stolen on Thursday  before the public was admitted so it HAD to be a member. More on that later we hope.

I met some exceptional people, again....exceptional!

#44 Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane
  • Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:17 AM

Just a few observations in regard to the 2017 OVMS Show, from a long time member but first time vendor. First off, if you're lucky, it is possible to get a table or two early on Thursday morning due to last minute cancellations. I was coming anyways, so it wasn't going to hurt to bring few boxes with me.

I would say that the crowd was lighter than I've seen in previous shows. The weather in Louisville was great, so that wasn't a factor and I've never thought weather good or bad is going to stop the typical OVMS shopper. The big thing with this show is that whether it's a new collector with $50 or the big time players with $50,000, everyone comes here with the intent of buying something.

My sales were better than I expected. As with any show, some of the items that I thought would be an easy sale, weren't. And, I sold things that I almost left behind. There was a lot of interest in photographs, ephemera and anything identified to a particular soldier. I sold several small WW2 groupings. Japanese swords were popular and I sold both of the ones I brought. I did sell a few fighting knives as well. There wasn't much interest in the Civil War swords and relics that I offered. A couple of nice Third Reich items sold within minutes of putting them out on the table. All said, it's always good to pack a mixed bag for any show.

Being at the table kept me from shopping as much as I normally do, but I did make some good buys. I have a general line antiques store and try to buy modestly priced militaria for store stock. I miss the booths of bulk German imports and hoppers full of inexpensive U.S.patches and insignia. Incredible things commanded incredible prices, but I thought that there were a lot of bargains to be had in many areas of collecting.

The veteran guests were great, as always. A new addition was two troopers from the battle of la Drang. Most of you will remember that the battle was the basis for the movie "We Were Soldiers Once, and Young". It was particularly fitting that their appearance was only a week after the death of Kentucky born General Hal Moore.

I'm already looking forward to next year.

#45 tarbridge

tarbridge

CHIEF MODERATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 123
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:09 AM

If it were a cotillion you should have worn your finest duds...if it were a barn dance you should have worn your best clogging shoes...if it were a moon landing you should have your best gravitational outfit...but it was the SOS...the new "Greatest Show on Earth". So drag out your good stuff.
I've done them all...I thought the attendance was strong and choices to buy numerous...I was busy every single day with little chance to take a break, once I opened up I couldn't leave.It was the best single show I've ever had in the 39 plus years.
Well Done and Bravo to the OVMS show and staff for once again providing our community a great outlet to satisfy most of our collecting whims...wants and desires in the Militaria area.

#46 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 94
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:42 AM

I'll echo what others have said with regard to it being the best show ever! As far as selling, I did better at this one that every other military show I have ever set up at, combined! The buying was plentiful and people brought out a lot of quality material for sale. Dealers and OVMS members were buying, the public not so much (at my table). I am quite happy with what I brought back below.

Attached Images

• DSCN9766.jpg

#47 37thguy

37thguy

• Members
    • Member ID: 729
  • 7,792 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:03 AM

That was the psychedelic portion of the program.  If those lights would have been blinking faster, people would have started dropping.

#48 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,337 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:14 AM

That was the psychedelic portion of the program.  If those lights would have been blinking faster, people would have started dropping.

I was just waiting for the disco ball to drop from the ceiling.  Should have worn my old leisure suit!

#49 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,337 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:17 AM

It is interesting to me to see these photos. I almost feel that I was at a different show as I don't remember seeing half of these tables.  It was a great show for me. I saw some old friends, and had a great time!

#50 tigerfan

tigerfan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,609
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:22 AM

Got home yesterday and am wiped out today.  The show was good and I rarely left my tables.  Sold lots of stuff and my 1/2 price tables did well again.  I was amazed at how many people asked for small size clothing this year.  Several forum members stopped by my tables that I had never met before,  nice to put a face to a name.  Did anyone notice the "tv - movie" actor/comedian that was walking around the show on Saturday?

Got a call from a local picker on the way home and picked this lot up before I got to my house. I was a bit bummed that I didn't buy anything at the show but this helped.

Attached Images

• vnlot.jpg

Edited by tigerfan, 27 February 2017 - 06:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users