USMC Detective Special

kwill

I know of only one other USMC marked Detective Special. It is from a shipment of 6 in 1942. This one was owned by a notable Marine, Harold E. Rosecrans, who shipped to France in 1917 and was wounded to get his first Purple Heart at the Battle of Belleau Wood. He was discharged in 1919 so that he could accept an officer's commission. Between the wars he served in China, Haiti and several of the banana wars but returned to Washington D.C. and played in the Marine Corps band for a while! By 1942 he was a Lt. Col. and won the Silver Star for action in the Guadalcanal Campaign. He was wounded (2nd Purple Heart) and in 1944 he became the Director of the Marine Corps Command & Staff School. He retired as a Brig. General in 1958 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

post-403-0-43950500-1487819955_thumb.jpeg

post-403-0-90442000-1487819980_thumb.jpg

These Colts are are very nice. I have my dads from when he was a police officer. He purchased it 1955. His is commercial made and not military marked. I think he first let me shoot it when I was about 8. He taught me how to clean it, and respect it as well. I treasure that little pistol. Thanks for sharing. I never knew these were made for the USMC. That very cool. I'm sure its very rare as well. Great history with it. Congratulations!