WWII marine uniform

jamessnow88

Hey, I recently came across this uniform and bought it. I believe it's a WWII marine uniform. I've tried to do some research on it to see if it's a reproduction or not, I haven't come across anything that has indicated 100% either way. i was hoping someone with better knowledge on older marine uniforms could help with any info they have on it.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

The real issue is recruits are not allowed to upload photos until they have a certain number of posts on the forum. James - I have sent you a PM.

WOW!! It's been through the wash more than once, but that's a darn nice 1942-model Utility Coat!

I was recently blessed with one in about equal condition with yours, and it is clean enough that I paired it up

with a pair of near-mint '42 Utility Trousers I had hanging around (below).

Fantastic score you made there!

post-3226-0-84478700-1487870568_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for taking a look. It really is a great example of a uniform. I don't collect USMC stuff, I have been collecting mostly Army uniforms from www, which i look forward to sharing with the forum soon. How can I tell the difference between an original and a reproduction ? is there a guide out there that has been created ?

nice..Fort 'Flage is looking good ;)

LOL- Many thanks, Ron! I'd had that loose pair of pants for many years, and didn't think I'd find a Coat to go with it.

One of the Pot Covers matches the Coat perfectly, so I did some rearranging and put the latest '42 Suit

next to one of its more used cousins.

James, there are several discussions on this Forum of these Utilities, referred to by most collectors as the "P42 Marine Camo Uniforms".

Here is one in the Reference Section:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13-p1942-usmc-camo-jacket/

post-3226-0-84479200-1487903866_thumb.jpg

Much of the details lie in the material and pattern

Original hbt material feels like a light denim

the repro has a soft or pre washed feel and is typically thinner in weight and construction.

Repro will offten have a "fuzz" to the material as well when looking at it across the grain

The pattern for USMC hbt cloth was the same as the Army in WW2.

The repeating line pattern is a good indicator as well.

Original will be a series of alternating line patterns.The (/) then cross hatching (#)

Original: /#/#/#/#/#/#

Repro: will have the repeating lines only much like rank stripes

Repro /\/\/\/\/\/\

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Kinda confusing but when you look at the one you have you will see the cross hatching in between the lines.

Also the color on the tan.beach side of the repros is often darker.

There are some good repros out there and after wear and use can be real convincing.The helmet covers from the recent movies come to mind.Ihave seen some real good looking ones that are aged and faded.

There are other topics that may explain it better than my poor explanation.

Much of the details lie in the material and pattern

Original hbt material feels like a light denim

the repro has a soft or pre washed feel and is typically thinner in weight and construction.

Repro will offten have a "fuzz" to the material as well when looking at it across the grain

The pattern for USMC hbt cloth was the same as the Army in WW2.

The repeating line pattern is a good indicator as well.

Original will be a series of alternating line patterns.The (/) then cross hatching (#)

Original: /#/#/#/#/#/#/#/

/#/#/#/#//#/#/

Repro: with have the repeating lines only much like rank stripes

Repro /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Kinda confusing but when you look at the one you have you will see the cross hatching in between the lines.

Also the color on the tan.beach side of the repros is often darker.

There are some good repros out there and after wear and use can be real convincing.The helmet covers from the recent movies come to mind.Ihave seen some real good looking ones that are aged and faded.

There are other topics that may explain it better than my poor explanation.

excellent information thank you, this does have an almost denim like feel to it, and the pattern does have the cross hatching. I was thinking the tan side was for desert warfare in Africa, but now that you mentioned its the "beach" side, that makes a lot more sense since the USMC had a predominant role in storming islands in the pacific theater.

• 1 month later...
Battling Bastard

LOL- Many thanks, Ron! I'd had that loose pair of pants for many years, and didn't think I'd find a Coat to go with it.

One of the Pot Covers matches the Coat perfectly, so I did some rearranging and put the latest '42 Suit

James, there are several discussions on this Forum of these Utilities, referred to by most collectors as the "P42 Marine Camo Uniforms".

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13-p1942-usmc-camo-jacket/

Nice collection!

jamessnow88

apparently people want these coats, I've had 4 offers on it. I've been slightly shocked to how much was being offered

They are tremendously hard to find, especially in that condition.

Don't be surprised at the offers.

BILL THE PATCH

Do you leave your display like that ?, I've always heard if they hang to long like that , the coat hangers can damage the material. Very nice collection by the way.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words. I use tubular plastic hangers for all these; over 20 years and no damage.

Schnicklfritz

That's a nice find indeed James! The jackets are hard to find in minty condition... at least in my case.

Sweet 42's Owen. I love that golden tan base colored stuff. Been looking for a set with that golden base color for a while.