WW2 USMC "Battle Pin" ? Help

Sgt. BARney

I'm looking for help in finding a good picture of a WW2 issued, USMC "Clasp, Collar". The official Marine nomenclature was "Clasp, Collar", but the Marines called them "battle pins". They are mentioned in Uris' novel "Battle Cry", and the website WW2Gyrene discusses them also (BTW that website seems to be out of service now?). The collar clasp was used to make the tie (field scarf) stand up, and apparently was fashionable at the time. In the photo, you can see the collar clasp just under the knot in the tie. You don't see them in photos after WW2. Maybe "battle pins" were dropped about the time tie clips started being issued. Does anyone have a close-up photo of a USMC collar clasp? I am hoping find one someday to add to a uniform.

The portrait is PFC Alfred Eskildsen, Co. B, 1st Bn., 24th Marines, 4th Mar. Div.

Thanks in advance for any help!

post-160365-0-15964800-1487791813_thumb.jpg

post-160365-0-79619900-1487791832_thumb.jpg

Brad - thanks for providing the photo!

I believe they were issued, as I have seen "Clasp, Collar" on uniform issue lists to individual Marines.

Thanks again!

usmc-collector

I have this "clasp, collar" in my collection, see photos bellow. I believe, it is the same design as on your photo. I got it with WW2 USMC uniform grouping few years ago.

I hope it helps. JAROSLAV

post-31-0-46552900-1488103788_thumb.jpgpost-31-0-30942100-1488103796_thumb.jpg

Both of the ones pictured I have encountered in WW2 USMC lots. I think as long as it was gold or gold colored, and was not gaudy, it was authorized. I have spoken to WW2 Marines who have called them "Battle Bars".

Mike

Thanks Mike!

All of this helps a lot! And I think you are right - just about any kind would do as long as it did not stand out too bad. They definitely do create a distinctive look on a shirt and tie.

Thanks again Gents!

• 3 years later...

Thanks for posting this.   There was one in the box with my father's pins and tie clasps. 

Enlisted USMCR from '43 to '46.

There a slight chance its from a very brief activation for duty five years later where he might have had to wear a uniform.Collar_Clasp_3.JPG.725948618f0453385f02f600d4268f91.JPG

Collar_Clasp_2.JPG

Collar_Clasp_1.JPG