Help Needed Researching the WWII 10th Mountain Ski Cap's Origin

Matthew1945

Anyone have any original documents, or sources, specifying how the Ski Cap came about and specifically how the cap became authorized to the soldiers of the 10th Light Division and subsequently the 10th Mountain Division?

- Matt

You are amazing. Thank you very much! This is all part of an ongoing investigation at the 10th Mountain Division & Fort Drum Museum to figure out how the ski cap came about, as the title states, and hopefully to get the cap authorized (this is mainly a museum driven effort, sadly we haven't had any real support) for wear (in some way) by soldiers of the 10th Mountain Division. Again, thank you!

Footnote: I am only a volunteer at the museum.

Is this the cap here?

post-34986-0-78300000-1484106175.jpg

Yup!

Here are some more color photographs of the caps. There seems to be two versions, one with buckle and strap, and one without. Currently, however, we are just trying to find any documents stating where the cap came from, who got issued it first in the 10th, how it became standardized among the 10th, and so on and so forth.

post-154136-0-88853000-1487769760_thumb.jpg

post-154136-0-64330700-1487770030_thumb.jpg

1st edition had a cloth chinstrap

2nd edition removed the chinstrap and added gromlets on top, among other things

I have the quartermasters book on mountain equipment at home and will look this up for you tonight.

1st edition had a cloth chinstrap

2nd edition removed the chinstrap and added gromlets on top, among other things

I have the quartermasters book on mountain equipment at home and will look this up for you tonight.

That's awesome, thank you! If you would be so kind as to scan the front of the book and the pages specifying/showing the cap that would be amazing. The more information we can get about the cap the better.

- Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Matthew1945

Still researching. If anyone can provide any documents or interviews with 10th Mountain veterans recalling wearing the Ski Cap that would be incredibly helpful. Especially any documentation describing their pride towards wearing it.

- Matt

• 6 months later...

I may be able to help. I sent Sepp a digital copy of the QM catalog, and may have more info in my files. Also contact Keli Schmid @ Denver Public Library, as she has copies of the Columbia Ice Fields equipment and uniform test reports. That my help.

I may be able to help. I sent Sepp a digital copy of the QM catalog, and may have more info in my files. Also contact Keli Schmid @ Denver Public Library, as she has copies of the Columbia Ice Fields equipment and uniform test reports. That my help.

Thank you! Would you be able to send me that information, and the authorization orders (as you wrote in my other post) as well? I'll PM you my email.