WIA Jewish Officer's dog tags

USdog

This is a really interesting set. Note that he was Jewish, but his tags are marked "P" for Protestant!

This veteran served as an officer in both the ETO and MTO. He was in Troop A, 117th Cavalry Recon Sq. and was a Armored Recon Unit Commander. He was credited with the Rome-Arno, Southern France, and Rhineland Campaigns.

On December 31, 1944, the M8 Armored Car he was in was struck by a rocket burst, causing him to become unconscious on the battlefield for a few hours and awoke to ringing ears, headaches, soreness in the chest, and paralysis of the left leg and arm.

He spent a fair amount of time being hospitalized and was diagnosed with psychoneurosis (severe anxiety). He was medically discharged upon request because of his health conditions. I'm thinking maybe PTSD...

post-93633-0-85074500-1487542201_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Simon Lerenfort

Given the campaigns he was involved in I'm not surprised that he was hospitalised after this event, who knows what else he went through. We hear far more about PTSD nowadays and such things are not a sign of weakness, rather I think they are a sign of the human condition. I hope he lived a long a happy life.

Thanks for sharing USdog.