Late M1-C Airborne Helmet with unusual A Strap Modification

equitis

I've been looking for a decent Vietnam era M1-C helmet to replace the great example I've given to my son for his collection. Intact ones are few and far between these days, but re-issued infantry M1's with the M1-C liner are a bit more available, as are the helmet and liner chin straps, so when I saw this M1 on Ebay it sparked my interest:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162393159695?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

However, when looking through the pictures the seller has posted, I realised that the A straps have been modified in a way I haven't seen before. It appears that the original buckles have been removed, and webbing has been stitched on to hold more substantial buckles that you would find on a pack.

I have read elsewhere on the forums that the way the helmet straps were used for parachute jumps were changed over the years, so I was wondering if this was some sort of accepted field modification or just an unusual one off?

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,

Equitis

I have gone through quite a few stacks of DRMO turned in liners over the years which included a fair number of para liners. I don't recall having seen this type of modification to the A straps as all still used the typical buckle and chin strap with eyelets system. Based solely upon what I have observed, I am going to opine that whoever did this modification possibly did it on a small scale basis. The steel helmet chin strap upgrade with the substantial metal cliips was a common modification.

Again, just my thoughts and I humbly defer to those much more knowledgeable forum members.

Hello,

The modification illustrated is for the Canadian parachute forces who modified the helmet in this way for their usage. See the book: "Tin Lids" by Roger Lucy for more information regarding this change to US liners.

Thanks britcoll36, I found a picture showing the chin strap in place here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/28173/thread/1242485926/Helmet+Comparisons+-+follow-up+on+Ed's+%26quot%3BNo+one+wants+to+see+this+stuff.%26quot%3B

It doesn't appear to be a particularly comfortable solution, but I guess it's a bit more substantial than the US design.

At least the mystery is solved!

Regards,

Equitis.

Hello,

The modification illustrated is for the Canadian parachute forces who modified the helmet in this way for their usage. See the book: "Tin Lids" by Roger Lucy for more information regarding this change to US liners.

It's quite possible it's a Canadian used helmet, we had a variety of US made and issued helmets back in the 70s and 80s, although I had never seen this kind of modification done, although I wasn't in the airborne so maybe this was a unit or regiment kind of modification.

In the photos in the eBay listing I noted that there was a partial number done in black sharpie pen visible in the interior crown of the shell, partially obscured by the camo cover, and if that number is just 3 digits, then its highly probable that it was a Canadian soldiers helmet, as we used to mark our equipment with the last 3 digits of our Social Insurance Number (Social Security number in the US).

Rick