Lt. Col. Harlan Crowder, AF Uniform - C-47 pilot - CBI

doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans

Was very fortunate to be able to acquire this set to to Lt. Col. Harlan B. C/r/o/w/d/e/r. His post-war shade 84 uniform with custom sewn ribbon bars and senior pilot wings by Meyer.

Included is his hat (which needs to be cleaned) as well as pants, and his briefcase.

I was able to find some articles on him online as well as info from the previous owner.

He was a U.S. Army Air Corp. pilot who flew C-47's in the China-Burma-India Campaign of WWII. So of course, once I found that out, I had to have this set.

I have some newspaper clippings I found as well that show him being awarded his DFC and his BS.

I hope you enjoy it and if any one can nail down what unit he was in - that would be super helpful. It was the 10th AAF in the CBI theater.

Also, what is the ribbon on the bottom row with 4 oak leafs?

Thanks for looking!

harlan crowder - Courier Journal Louisville KY april 22 1945.jpg

harland crowder.jpg

crowder BS.jpg

harlan crowder2.jpg

Captainofthe7th

Super nice set! Your mystery ribbon is the USAF Longevity Service ribbon - awarded for 4 years of service. Always nice to see an AF uniform with Korea ribbonry. The combo of AF Commendation and Army Commendation is great, too. That transitional period is shining through!

Rob

Nice group.

Could it be a very faded Airforce Longevity service award department of the airforce

That is exactly what it is. Neat uniform!

-Ski

Great uniform! We recently buried my grandfather in his. He flew 26 different kinds of aircraft from WWII through Vietnam era.

He grew up dirt poor in upstate SC and couldn't wear his brogans until after the first the first frost each fall, but he served his country for 30 years, made O6, and was always greatfull he'd had such a "wonderful life."

doinworkinvans

Ghost thanks for checking....I may just have to order some records and see if I can nail down unit. Thanks again for lokking.

Daniel

doinworkinvans

Headhunter.....great memories you have there. Sounds like a great gentleman. Hold on to those memories tight

I have 1950s Air Officer's Guide. The shirt is said to be, "one-pocket civilian type (no shoulder loops) with medium pointed turned nonflaring collar. For winter, the material is poplin, blue shade 120." The tie is, "dark blue, shade 83, four in hand civilian type, in tropical worsted, twill, or woven tie fabric without design."

• 11 months later...

Just checked the Hump Pilot Assn. book vol. 2 and he is not listed. He may be in vol one but I don't have that edition, sorry.

CB

His bio is not in vol 1, 3, or 4 nor is he on the vol 3 roster either living or deceased.