Salty 2nd ID NCO Fixed bail

jkash23686

Here’s a nice well used 2nd Infantry helmet that has definitely seen a bit of action.
The shell is a fixed bail helmet and only part of the OD3 long strap remains. I have a feeling it was also part of a stack of helmets at one point based on the wear. It has a late war period overpaint. Above the over paint is a paper decal for the 2nd Infantry Division. This type of decal was only seen for a short period of time late in WWII from what I know.
Bellow the overpaint that you can now see because of the stacking ring is an NCO bar which has been taped over and then painted over.
The liner is in the same shape as the shell but is a very rare Rayon MSA liner. On the webbing is the name Robert which would be impossible to ID, but its there in pencil.

-j

post-22057-0-56741300-1487050082_thumb.jpg

First nice helmet, I really love the stuff that has the used and abused look. Also I noticed you referenced the type of decal on the helmet was only used for a short time at the end of WWII. Are you saying that because it is a paper transfer decal or is their a reference on the different types of decals used and how to date them? I quickly looked through my few helmet reference books and noticed they are a little light on addressing decals.

Ken

First nice helmet, I really love the stuff that has the used and abused look. Also I noticed you referenced the type of decal on the helmet was only used for a short time at the end of WWII. Are you saying that because it is a paper transfer decal or is their a reference on the different types of decals used and how to date them? I quickly looked through my few helmet reference books and noticed they are a little light on addressing decals.

Ken

Its a paper decal. From what i've learned these smaller and paper versions of the the 2nd ID marking were used later in the war / occupation and for a short period of time. Which would make sense with this one and its over paint and covering up of the NCO bar.

-j

Its a paper decal. From what i've learned these smaller and paper versions of the the 2nd ID marking were used later in the war / occupation and for a short period of time. Which would make sense with this one and its over paint and covering up of the NCO bar.

-j

J,

Thanks. Yeah I know a couple unit used the paper decals like the 104th ID and had seen the 2nd ID ones on liners in the past as well. Do you know when the paper decals were largely phased out from use?

Ken