Chaplains Helmets, The Spiritual Leaders Covering

Bugme

Hey everybody, great helmets, I love them all (even if I am more interested by those WW2 lids).

Here is a picture of a chaplain of the 104th Inf. Div. in Germany at the end of the war. That cross is huge...

LM

post-8590-1339354051.jpg

And this is my M1 FB helmet shell with a cross scratched on the front, not painted. No ID unfortunately and no liner.

post-8590-1339354694.jpg

Chaplain Thomas Fraker of the 1st Bn. 505th Infantry 82nd Airborne Division in Vietnam - August 1968. The letters on the cover look like "CHA PPT". Not sure what that means other than maybe Chaplain Protestant?

post-1761-1339360496.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great photo, seanmc1114!

It looked to probably be an old polaroid that's faded with age. I only ran it through Photoshop's auto enhance and it turned out better.

If you'd like me to send you a full sized image that will never fade, just send me a PM and I'll email one to you.

1Medium-2.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Another thread concerning a Chaplain helmet was posted and it reminded me of this thread. So, I'll boost it back to the top with a few of my more recent helmet additions: First, WWII USN Chaplain Aaron Ungersma, USS Okaloosa along with a photo of him.

post-2-0-54557800-1388616129.jpg

Chaplain Ungersma 1.jpg

Great lids and I love how they have religious connections as well.

-Dave

When you have young men facing their own mortality, the need for the Chaplain is huge in war and an incredible aid to men and women who are overseas, away from home and in need of direction. A great many Chaplains paid the ultimate price in service of their fellow man.

Thats nice to see documentation with the helmets. I have a vietnam helmet with a cross made out of tape on the liner. I figured the soldier was religious, but not a chaplain.

sarge

While this is probably the most ugly Chaplain helmet in my collection(actually in any collection) and it most likely was used stateside at a guard unit, I still like it!

RSCN8812.JPG