LTG Hal Moore

ocsfollowme

After reading the book and watching the movie LTG Moore was one of my influences in joining the Army. Doing PT while in OCS at Fort Benning and running through the streets as seen in the movie from where his wife delivered the letters was chilling and I will never forget. Rest In Peace.

Patchcollector

Rest in Peace Hero

Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone

When they come I will stand my ground
Stand my ground Ill not be afraid

Thoughts of home take away my fear
Sweat and blood hide my veil of tears

Once a year say a prayer for me
Close your eyes and remember me

Never more shall I see the sun
For I fell to a Germans gun

In memory of Sgt. Charles Stuart MacKenzie
Seaforth Highlanders
Who along with many others gave up his life
So that we can live free

We will remember them

Salvage Sailor
“You had to get on the ground with your troops to see and hear what was happening. You have to soak up firsthand information for your instincts to operate accurately. Besides, it’s too easy to be crisp, cool, and detached at 1, 500 feet; too easy to demand the impossible of your troops; too easy to make mistakes that are fatal only to those souls far below in the mud, the blood, and the confusion"......
.....“It was the final act of a North Vietnamese soldier who was killed. Before he died he took a hand grenade and held it against the stock of his weapon. Then he had gotten on his knees and bent over double. If anybody tried to get his weapon they were going to activate that hand grenade. When I saw the dedication of those two Vietnamese with their hand grenades, I said to myself: We are up against an enemy who is going to make this a very long year.”
― Harold G. Moore, We Were Soldiers Once . . . and Young: Ia Drang-The Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam

Moore-on-Radio.jpg

He was my Brigade Commander in late 66. He briefed my unit on an Op we were supporting the next day ( with Rocket Artillery Helicopters). Being a WO1 at the time I was sort of in the back and heard him rather then getting a good view of him. He was already a legend by then.

Hand Salute Sir! You will be missed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a lot of respect for this man, I was an avid reader of his columns in Armchair General and I am very sad to learn of his passing.

RIP and Godspeed, General!