WW2 2nd Div/99th Div soldiers grouping

twining540

Very happy to be sharing this grouping with the forum. I recently received a phone call from a local military shop in regards to this grouping having been brought in on consignment. I couldn't get down there fast enough. Anyways after some tough dealing, I was able to walk away with this grouping having traded a arisaka rifle and $100! :D Happy Days!

The grouping belonged to George J Walker of Dowagiac Michigan. I have not been able to find any detailed information in regards to his multiple wounds received, just the basic NARA enlistment information. Probably going to have to send for his files. I am assuming he was with the 2nd Div, wounded, then attached to the 99th Div. Anybody else seen the use of stars in place of oak leaf clusters on the ribbon bar before? I believe the engraving is considered small blackened machine engraving. Also included in the grouping, but not pictured, are a handful of family photos, wallet, bank book, and a second medal shipping box. Hope you enjoy!

post-102692-0-30441700-1486521026.jpg

I know it is a different serial number...if they were promoted from enlisted to officer...would their serial number change?

Thanks for the research. I was thinking it could be him also until I found a Benton Harbor MI newspaper with some more info. It lists homeward bound Michigan soldiers and It lists a Sgt George J Walker of Dowagiac Michigan having been discharged from Fort Sheridan on Oct 5th 1945. I will end up sending for his files. I think this one will be well worth it, if his files are still intact.

Thanks again!

Todd

I know it is a different serial number...if they were promoted from enlisted to officer...would their serial number change?

I have seen where the individuals were discharged and then reassigned a new numer when commissioned.I think its often seen when cadets are commssioned pilots as well.I have a copy of papers from a 101st vet who was commissioned after OCS and he was assigned a new serial number.

The Walker posted KIA was from the 88th Div and the medal appears to be 2nd and 99th

Thanks for the research. I was thinking it could be him also until I found a Benton Harbor MI newspaper with some more info. It lists homeward bound Michigan soldiers and It lists a Sgt George J Walker of Dowagiac Michigan having been discharged from Fort Sheridan on Oct 5th 1945. I will end up sending for his files. I think this one will be well worth it, if his files are still intact.

Thanks again!

Todd

Looks like your Soldier...Follow up when you get his files. Thanks.

Correct, once commissioned you receive an officers service number, beginning with an O, in place of your enlisted service number. Should also note that the two service numbers will not be matching or similar to each other

I'm not questioning the originality of the grouping, but why two stars on the ribbon, which would indicate three awards of the Purple Heart. Normally, the stars were only used by the seagoing services. Any idea? Jack

The Purple Heart is privately engraved from some time. It is not official government engraving, the font is incorrect. Just to clarify...

The Purple Heart is privately engraved from some time. It is not official government engraving, the font is incorrect. Just to clarify...

Dave is correct...I need to look closer before I speak...the font is not correct...I stand corrected.

Dave is correct...I need to look closer before I speak...the font is not correct...I stand corrected.

You check the forum with your phone too often - need to get yourself one of those great big monitors for your shop! :D;)

You check the forum with your phone too often - need to get yourself one of those great big monitors for your shop! :D;)

So true...It had the large machine engraved look...but the font is a no-no...

So true...It had the large machine engraved look...but the font is a no-no...

Conveniently, I have images of a bunch of Purple Heart examples at my fingertips... :)

IMG_0339.JPG

Conveniently, I have images of a bunch of Purple Heart examples at my fingertips... :)

My man Wilby is good to go...

This is the larger shipping box that has the single line purple heart case in it. It has a postal stamp on it from Dowagiac post office but I cannot make out the date stamp.

post-102692-0-94712500-1486587877.jpg