Another silly commemorative Kabar auction

DRE66

I bought a Pig Sticker blade and Rehandled it with Walnut just like from Case. I put it on EBay as REHANDLED and got 57.00 for it. I made maybe 2.00 a hour fixing it! The military Vender who bought it then put it back on EBay saying nothing about the handle.(I did a nice job) A guy paid his Buy-It-Now price of 149.00 and left him GREAT Feedback. Now that sucks!

Three months ago I might have bid on that but with the knowledge gained here I knew this one was a reproduction. Great learning a new topic from the experts .... Thanks!

Looking at the bid history of this auction I'm wondering if I'm interpreting the information correctly. I get the impression that the eventual winner placed their top price bid earlier in the listing and his was higher than the rest.

I wonder if after bidding this guy learned the true nature of what he was bidding on?

So in about 19 hours the knife has been sold twice. First in Saint Louis, Missouri, and next in Modesto California. Why do I wonder exactly where that knife actually may be located at this time. (????)

Actually I don't pretend to know exactly whats going on, just that it seems to get stranger as time goes on.

Thanks for all the info on the K-BAR and the Civil War blade. These K-BARs came out for sale to the public at least ten years after the Vietnam war. We sold them in Soldier of Fortune magazine around 1982. The dating of the knife was not helped by a famous print depicting the Marines during WWII making a beach landing. The Marine in the foreground of the painting/print is wearing the post Vietnam K-BAR with the EGA on the leather sheath. I don't recall the artist or the print, but to the uneducated,( this would include the artist,) it gives the impression the knife was WWII vintage. After a hard day, y'all gave me a really BIG laugh. Thanks again.

Looks like the second listing was removed due to "an error in the listing". Still wondering why the two listing seem to be representing the same knife from very different locations?

If the knife actually got to Modesto California from Saint Louis Missouri in less than a day I want to know who the carrier is. :)

I think you can date these knives back to around two years after the fall of Saigon.

Looks like the second listing was removed due to "an error in the listing". Still wondering why the two listing seem to be representing the same knife from very different locations?

If the knife actually got to Modesto California from Saint Louis Missouri in less than a day I want to know who the carrier is. :)

Aliens I tell you...ebay Aliens

This knife and the story here is very interesting but what I want to know is what exactly is this? "eBay item number: 232132957743 "

The most recent seller has this listed also, I've seen some odd stuff for sale on the bay but I'm lost with this one...

oldradiostuff

I've been on ebay since they were called AuctionWeb - over 21 years now. This is very common. Most sellers have at least two seller accounts, many have a lot, and all of them have sufficient feedback to give confidence to bidders. Quite a few sellers use different listing locations, though I'm not sure why, but it is fairly common.

I'm sure it's the same seller in both listings.

This store displays currently on ebay.

I have one like it and bought it out of a Surplus store in Rochester Mn back in the mid to late 1980s.the scabbards didnt come with the display.

post-342-0-63936200-1487127326_thumb.jpg

I've been on ebay since they were called AuctionWeb - over 21 years now. This is very common. Most sellers have at least two seller accounts, many have a lot, and all of them have sufficient feedback to give confidence to bidders. Quite a few sellers use different listing locations, though I'm not sure why, but it is fairly common.

I'm sure it's the same seller in both listings.

That may be the case with this knife. I emailed both "sellers" without response which leads me to believe its the same guy.

Far and away the honest sellers thank me and correct the listing but there are a few out there . . . . . . that see things different.

I emailed the buyer from California about this being a post 1975 knife - He is trying to get in contact with the person he bought it from.

He thinks he was lied too.

Dag nabbit Ron, now I want a store display. Ugh... :)

This store displays currently on ebay.

I have one like it and bought it out of a Surplus store in Rochester Mn back in the mid to late 1980s.the scabbards didnt come with the display.

There is currently a listing (http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-ORIGINAL-M1832-NOS-Date-1839-ARTILLERY-SHORT-SWORD-Unissued-Old-Stock-/122356267414?hash=item1c7d007996:g:aygAAOSwWxNYo3HL) for a M1832 foot artillery sword with an even more outrageously BS story:

THIS IS A INCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY!!!

Presented here is a model 1832 Artillery Short Sword obtained from the Benicia Arsenal/Barracks when it closed. NOS New Old Stock

Date 1839 stamped "United States, 1839, WS" (one side), "N.P. Ames, Springfield" (other side).

"MS" stamped on the flat side of the guard. "ORD". "MPL" in a box on one side of the guards edge and "WS" the other

Scabbard is also in excellent and new- "MS" is stamped on the drag of the scabbard.

19 1/4" blade 25" Overall length 26" with scabbard.

• This is an unheard of find!

I have 100% approval rating and selling a collection that has been built over the past 50 years.

post-160923-0-99469600-1487188313_thumb.jpg

In reality, this sword is one of the well-known and well-documented 1839-dated reproductions produced by the infamous House of Swords back in the 1980s. Although like most HoS fakes, these are well made quality repros, but they can be distinguished:

- The beak on the eagle on the pommel is too straight and lacks a hook

- The eagle above the Ames address is wrong - has a chicken-like head, snd poorly executed feet

- The "UNITED/STATES/1839/WS" markings are left justified as opposed to center justified as on originals

- The "MS" font is slightly different than the originals

- The rivets are too bright and silver. This is because they are aluminum-based rather than iron

- In the case of this sword, the total lack of aging. Even if stored in controlled environment, leather especially will show signs of age after 180 years.

Clearly this arsenal old stock story was concocted to explain the implausibly new condition of this fake. Most examples of the HoS repros I have seen have had some aging and slightly less overly sharp stampings. I'm almost inclined to think that the lister is ignorant of the truth and relaying a story given to him because of the ridiculously high asking price, $4,499. If genuine, this sword wouldn't be worth anywhere near that price.

Here's another one where the guy's description indicates they need to do more homework. New knife in what appears to be an old sheath. This time it's a Camillus which I admit has fewer tells separating the originals from the remakes.

At least at this point with not much time left on the auction the top bid is still in the range of what this knife is really worth. Got to wait for the final bell to see how it goes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332121646917?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here's another one where the guy's description indicates they need to do more homework. New knife in what appears to be an old sheath. This time it's a Camillus which I admit has fewer tells separating the originals from the remakes.

At least at this point with not much time left on the auction the top bid is still in the range of what this knife is really worth. Got to wait for the final bell to see how it goes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332121646917?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That's another good one, as the seller says, very rare mid-war knife . . . . NOT!