Another silly commemorative Kabar auction

DRE66

I get a kick out of these folks who provide a nonsense story for a repro Kabar auction. I sent him correct information but refused to correct his ad. Oh well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Korean-War-US-Marine-Corps-USMC-KABAR-KA-BAR-Military-Fighting-Combat-Knife-WWII-/152423111086?hash=item237d2019ae:g:WqEAAOSw-0xYlU0v

Here is his ridiculous story:

Original Korean War Vet Bring-Back USMC KABAR Combat Knife. Right out of the woodwork from an estate within the last month… Has never been in a collection. This is an original Korean War model and not a recent reissue. Manufactured around 1950, this excellent example has a parkerized blade, not blackened, and steel staple reinforcements on the scabbard, not studs.

Blade ricasso marked “USMC” and “KA-BAR OLEAN, N.Y.” Very good condition and well taken care of. Original parkerized finish, has not been polished or messed with. No cracks or nicks, no wheel sharpening marks. Military Leather washer grip and original matching leather scabbard is also in great condition. No reserve as usual, so good luck. I’ll be listing other quality items this week, so please check out my other auctions.

oldradiostuff

You can hit the "report item" link on the listing and report it to ebay as a replica item being represented as original. If they get enough they'll pull the listing.

I get a kick out of these folks who provide a nonsense story for a repro Kabar auction. I sent him correct information but refused to correct his ad. Oh well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Korean-War-US-Marine-Corps-USMC-KABAR-KA-BAR-Military-Fighting-Combat-Knife-WWII-/152423111086?hash=item237d2019ae:g:WqEAAOSw-0xYlU0v

Here is his ridiculous story:

Don't waste your time. I used to TRY and help people understand what they have or DONT have but most are not interested in knowing the truth.

Original Korean War Vet Bring-Back USMC KABAR Combat Knife. Right out of the woodwork from an estate within the last month Has never been in a collection. This is an original Korean War model and not a recent reissue. Manufactured around 1950, this excellent example has a parkerized blade, not blackened, and steel staple reinforcements on the scabbard, not studs.

Blade ricasso marked USMC and KA-BAR OLEAN, N.Y. Very good condition and well taken care of. Original parkerized finish, has not been polished or messed with. No cracks or nicks, no wheel sharpening marks. Military Leather washer grip and original matching leather scabbard is also in great condition. No reserve as usual, so good luck. Ill be listing other quality items this week, so please check out my other auctions.

Ok - educate me / us on what the problem is with this knife?

And what about the eBay listing is blatantly dishonest?

I don't know the seller or anything about him, so help clue me in. I have sold on eBay for 20 years and sell all types of military stuff so I guess I too specialize in military stuff, but I can guarantee you I sure don't know all there is to know about everything, and would sure hope I wouldn't get called blatantly dishonest by someone if I wrote an incorrect description.

Having sold on eBay for years I have had any number of people tell me all sorts of things about items I have been selling, and I have no way of knowing if what they are saying was true or not at times - at times I DID know the topic and items quite well and clearly knew what the messenger was telling me was totally inaccurate.

So help us all understand the problems with this Kabar. Thank you.

I have had good results, typically from sellers who aren't into the military items and don't know what they have. They thank me, change the description and relist. The ones who ignore me are the militaria "experts" who should know better.

I don't know the seller or anything about him, so help clue me in. I have sold on eBay for 20 years and sell all types of military stuff so I guess I too specialize in military stuff, but I can guarantee you I sure don't know all there is to know about everything, and would sure hope I wouldn't get called blatantly dishonest by someone if I wrote an incorrect description.

Having sold on eBay for years I have had any number of people tell me all sorts of things about items I have been selling, and I have no way of knowing if what they are saying was true or not at times - at times I DID know the topic and items quite well and clearly knew what the messenger was telling me was totally inaccurate.

The Ka-bar in the ebay auction was made after Vietnam, that is to say it was made in 1975 or later. It was a commemorative item, never issued by the military.

What he is saying about the knife is not true,it's a lie,fabricated story.

oldradiostuff

The commemorative, or later production, knives have the thick, half-pinned pommel that you see in the ebay listing. Original production knives had either a through-pinned thin pommel or a thick pommel that was peened. Also, the sheaths never had the EGA stamped on them during the original production. This is a very recently produced knife.

His listing is for a reproduction USMC Kabar knife that is claimed to be from the Korean War. The Kabar Co. (Union Cutlery) didn't make this knife after WWII as his description claims. He also claims its authenticity based on it being parkerized verses enamel coating so he does have some knowledge to differentiate. As the story gets juicier the BS flag goes higher. Indications that it is a reproduction and not a WWII blade:

The Knife:

• Pinned thick pommel and exposed pin painted black
  • Black plastic spacers
  • Black paint between washers,
  • Guard painted black instead of parkerized
  • Large stamped USMC letters
  • Blade grind is identical to early repros.

The Sheath:

• Kabar Brand stamp, Globe and Anchor USMC logo (not on original WWII sheaths or on any issued for that matter)
  • Mexican leather
  • Rivet on back side to hold sheath together (not on original or subsequent mil specs)

I apologize if I have offended anyone. I am not claiming that militaria sellers should know everything about what they sell, but they should be humble enough to acknowledge when they are incorrect. :)

Anyone see the guy on Ebay selling an old used Rada cutlery kitchen paring knife as an ultra rare civil war mess kit knife? Iessaged h it & he said he would change it, but have seen it run a few more times with the same description ...

one of these. Have a few myself. Good kitchen knives, but not civil war period!

post-161323-0-43783100-1486446172.jpg

The Ka-bar in the ebay auction was made after Vietnam, that is to say it was made in 1975 or later. It was a commemorative item, never issued by the military.

Although I agree about the auction description, I bought one of these in 1985 and wore it in the field for years. They weren't issued by the USMC, but a lot of Marines carried them. They are darn good knives!

Anyone see the guy on Ebay selling an old used Rada cutlery kitchen paring knife as an ultra rare civil war mess kit knife? Iessaged h it & he said he would change it, but have seen it run a few more times with the same description ...

one of these. Have a few myself. Good kitchen knives, but not civil war period!

They sell these at the Menenite store near here. I've got the Cival War Peeler! :)

post-159439-0-01206000-1486477110_thumb.jpeg

Still-A-Marine

This one is pretty blatant. The only thing I can think is MAYBE this truly came from a vet's estate. And therefore the seller assumes it to be authentic. If so for a militaria seller he has very little knowledge on these knives.

Bill

Salvage Sailor

These were commercially made and retailed around 1985, I still have one in the box

1985 kabar.jpg

I do see your points. Many of us have made up our minds that the seller is knowingly deceiving the potential buyers, however IMHO the seller may just as likely still be an example of someone misrepresenting an item based on ignorance.

You can find many references that seem to at least imply that this type knife was still in production after WW2 and before the 1960's. Just not an opinion considered as valid by most here on this forum.

With the sellers user name implying that they are in the business of "militaria" it's easy to infer that they should know better.

I don't know how much blame goes towards the seller and how much blame goes to buyers who also should know better.

It's the buyers responsibility to know or keep his wallet in his pants usually. eBay does not see it that way! Maybe you can tell us where you heard Kabar was still producing these after WWII-- before 1978?

I do see your points. Many of us have made up our minds that the seller is knowingly deceiving the potential buyers, however IMHO the seller may just as likely still be an example of someone misrepresenting an item based on ignorance.

You can find many references that seem to at least imply that this type knife was still in production after WW2 and before the 1960's. Just not an opinion considered as valid by most here on this forum.

With the sellers user name implying that they are in the business of "militaria" it's easy to infer that they should know better.

I don't know how much blame goes towards the seller and how much blame goes to buyers who also should know better.

I would agree with you if no one brought it to his attention. He has chosen to ignore correction (truthful facts) which to me can be for two reasons, arrogance or deceit. Neither are admirable qualities. Just my opinion. I'm thankful to be living in a time where such trivialities are not punishable by death. ?