Painted A2 question

awo41

Looking at buying this but don't know anything about em except that I want one. Gonna see what y'all think. These are the only photos I have of it. The jackets been at the show of shows in Louisville the last two years. Thanks for any info

post-4741-0-40787900-1486404382.jpeg

post-4741-0-48254700-1486404397.jpeg

post-4741-0-29400400-1486404408.jpeg

post-4741-0-19172400-1486404430.jpeg

Far from an expert, but I would say the cuff and waist knits have been replaced. This is always a deal killer for me. I like the originals, even if they are a bit ratty, and it always makes me wonder what else might have done to it. The paint on the back also looks really fresh, but your pics are pretty small...

agree ..it looks like the knits are replaced...and the artwork is hard to tell but looks like a modern motif...IMO.... without seeing better pics...nice hide though...

Before you drop a lot of money on this painted jacket, see if you can do any research on the name and see if it lines up with the nose art

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a well-done reproduction (Goodwear?) - no visable wear on the lining at the neck, newer knits, no wear at the shoulders from a parachute (might have not been an active pilot), back paint looks too new / no wear.

Without close up photos of everything on the jacket there is no way to tell anything one way or the other.I have bought Jackets from Vets who sewed the insignia on and had them painted as they were leaving for home.They then wore them in one parade and stored them away until I bought them.There is No way to tell with those Photos if the paint is real or if the cuffs are original to the jacket.The jacket looks real and if its all original it would be a beauty.Scotty

I forgot a thought that I wanted to post there are some dealers who have jacket like this that their reputation for handling real ones would not make it necessary to ask if it were real.When it comes to painted Flight Jackets as in every collectible know who is selling it to you and go with a proven dealer.If this jacket was at two SOS shows and did not sell it was either priced to high at the time or something is suspect.Scotty

I forgot a thought that I wanted to post there are some dealers who have jacket like this that their reputation for handling real ones would not make it necessary to ask if it were real.When it comes to painted Flight Jackets as in every collectible know who is selling it to you and go with a proven dealer.If this jacket was at two SOS shows and did not sell it was either priced to high at the time or something is suspect.Scotty

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this. A "proven dealer" does not automatically guarantee that everything is right on a piece of militaria. It just doesn't work that way. Collectors need to educate themselves, and should never rely solely on the reputation of the dealer selling the item. Also, those knits have definitely been replaced. No need for better photos...