Picking up a souvenir the hard way

Vpep

I was enjoying looking through this section, so I thought I would share my Grandfathers "Spoils". My grandfather PFC Leonard Pipitone got this during the Ardenne offensive. Just after midnight on January 8 1945 as the Germans were retreating, my grandfathers unit, Co. A of the 134th infantry regiment, was on 50 percent alert. This meant that one man in a fox hole could sleep while the other was watch. My grandfather had just gone on his watch when he heard a rustling in the trees in front of his hole. As he raised his M1 to fire, the german fired first, hitting him in the leg and knocking him down an embankment. His friend in the foxhole emptied an eight round clip into the german. They then administered first aid to him and told him that the German that they killed was wearing an American uniform and was trying to get back to his own lines. He was taken to the aid station and then later went through surgery. After surgery, the doctor gave him his this pocket knife with a 45 caliber bullet lodged in it. It had penetrated his leg and then hit his pocket knife.post-113193-0-76439500-1486398826_thumb.jpg

Very interesting, thank you for sharing. So, is it assumed that the German had a GI weapon as part of the American gear he was wearing?

As it was explained to my grandfather by his buddies, the german had a M1911 and was wearing an American uniform and equipment except he had a german canteen.

According to my grandfather, it made a hole in his thigh the size of a base ball. His surgeon told him that if he was hit 1 centimeter over, he would have been crippled for life. As it turned out, he healed up well and after the war became a mail man in Manhattan and walked all over the city.

BILL THE PATCH

Definitely unique, in the movies it's usually a pocket Bible, or cigarette case that stops the bullet. What a great souvenir.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link. I know the site, and have added my grandfathers story and some photos of him. I was able to find him in his company's morning reports which they have listed there. It's pretty great since now I have a time frame in which to put his stories. Unfortunately I don't have his Purple Heart because it was stolen from his home in the 1950's. I would love some day to find it, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have spoken with the curator of the site and sent her some photos of him and the bullet with some of his stories. She has copies of his company's morning reports. I was able to find the report for the day he arrived and the one for the day he was wounded. It's a great site if you have an interest in the 134th.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing! Your grandfather served in one of the finest infantry regiments in the ETO!

• 2 weeks later...