heavy mobile ordnance repair

mccooper

May I ask for some help, please, in identifying a unit? A local museum has a named uniform with a patch that is a red "8" entwined with a black "H." His Ohio record shows that he served with the 8th Heavy Artillery Mobile Ordnance Shop. The First Army had such a patch within the block "A" and Id'ed as HMORS (no "A"). In looking through the US Army Order of Battle, I can find no 8th HMORS, either in the Ordnance section, or in the First Army section. Yet it is in B&W in the Ohio book, but as HAMORS. The book also indicates that he was trained in ordnance before shipping over.

Are those two descriptions one and the same, and where is the 8th mentioned (except in the Ohio S&S book)? Nothing in Artillery that I could see either. Would appreciate your thoughts on this outfit and where it fit. This one has me mystified - thank you.

mccooper

There is a mention of the 8th Heavy Artillery Mobile Ordnance Repair Shop in Harvard's Military Record in the World War. It seems that these types of units typically served at the Army level, but I can't find any mention of the 8th at that level. It's possible that the unit was assigned to one of the Base Sections.

Hawk-

It is the same without the 1st Army "A." Will get a picture, but have to arrange with the museum first. Here is the service description from the Ohio book.

mccooper

post-151387-0-47780900-1486393256_thumb.jpg