POW Buffalo Soldiers, Mexican War

Vincennes

I picked up an amazing real photo postcard at the flea market yesterday. It shows 10th. Cavalry Buffalo Soldiers who were captured by the Mexicans in the Battle of Carrizal on June 21, 1916. This photo was taken when they were released at El Paso a few days later. The "X" marks the Morman scout Lem Spillbury. So far I have not found the names of the black soldiers. This postcard was written by 1st. Lt. John S. Underhill of Company B, 1st. Arkansas Infantry at Deming, NM. He also fought with the AEF in France in WW1.

Paul

post-2319-0-70582400-1486312458_thumb.jpg

post-2319-0-11217300-1486312478_thumb.jpg

Excellent photo! What a find! Deming N.M. was right next to Camp Cody (actually it was called Camp Brooks at the time this photo was probably taken, then Camp Deming at the start of WW1, then Camp Cody in 1918- named after Buffalo Bill!). All of the photos in 1918 show black troops as cooks, I 'd bet the men in this photo were not! Thanks for posting.

Excellent Photo..

Columbus New Mexico is a stone throw from me in El Paso.. We do several Staff rides yearly with the Sergeants Major students attending the Sergeant's Major Academy.. Just finished one last Wednesday..

Leigh