M35 Combat Police Helmet and Toy Figure

JimD

Both these items were brought back by Major (later Colonel) Robert Sydney Burris of the 282nd Combat Engineers. The 282nd Combat Engineers arrived in England 2 Nov. 1944 and in France 24 Dec. 1944. It is credited with participation in the Ardennes, Central Europe and Rhineland Campaigns. War's end found the 282nd, I believe, in Austria.

The M35 is an NS manufactured helmet with the correct borderless NS Police decal. The liner is dated 1938 as is the nice dome stamp. It has the early square-cornered chinstrap bales and an early reinforced liner band. The liner is marked with an owner's name (and rank?) "W. ROTH", and on another part, "ROLINA(?) ROTH W" I am not as adept at research on German WWII soldiers as I am with US soldiers so any insight would be appreciated.

Major Burris also brought back the Elastolin AH child's toy included in this post. The attention to detail in the hand-painting of the toy is impressive. Both these items came directly from the vet's family, by way of my friend Larry Stewart of Stewart's Military Antiques. The helmet is a nice unaltered early Combat Police helmet. Perhaps a 4th SS Polizei Division helmet given its 1938 dates.

Thanks for looking.

post-2661-0-99957500-1486249713.jpg post-2661-0-92516100-1486249722.jpg post-2661-0-34249800-1486249730.jpg

That little guy somehow looks familiar, I'm trying to place him? (just kidding!) Excellent finds!

BKW

That's an easy one. Charlie Chaplin.