Dog tag of Surgeon on Guadalcanal

USdog

Haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd post this tag.

Before the war this doctor got his PhD at the University of Illinois in 1939. He was appointed as assistant surgeon with the rank of Lt. (jg) in the US Navy on October 15, 1940.

He served as an assistant surgeon during the Battle of Guadalcanal with Company B, 2nd Medical Battalion, being attached to the 8th Marines. He would later receive the Presidential Unit Citation for being part of the 1st Marine Division, Reinforced. At the time he was serving as a Lieutenant.

After Guadalcanal he was sent back to the states and spent the rest of his time attached to a marine training unit in San Diego.

post-93633-0-55651900-1486150345_thumb.jpg

This is all I could really find about medical units on Guadalcanal. If anyone knows more about them please post...

"Medical companies, consisting of 6 medical officers and 80 corpsmen followed. Maintaining a position about 200 yards behind front lines, company aid men administered resuscitation fluids (typically plasma) and applied splints and dressings as required."

https://ofshipssurgeons.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/navy-medicine-guadalcanal-campaign/

Kurt Barickman

Each Marine Corps Division in WWII had a medical battalion attached to them and the medical battalion was the same number as the divisional number if I remember correctly. I love USN medical types (pharmacist mates and medical doctors) attached to USMC divisions but you cannot find much of it to collect.

Congrats, great tag.

Kurt