Souvenir Vietnam clock

mvmhm

A local church is going out of business and told me I could go through the building and take what I wanted...ended up with some nice office equipment, a bunch of garment racks and wooden hangers, new vacuum cleaners, etc. Inside one of the closets was this clock...note the stoplight-like arrangement of the colored stones...South Vietnam is green...the DMZ area is yellow (Caution!) and North Vietnam is Red.....things turn up in the oddest of places....

It's wooden, about two feet long...lacquered on the front and painted black on the back.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-33721000-1486043769_thumb.jpg

The church formed in 1926 and is a huge building....but now they only have about 20 people coming on Sundays and it's not financially feasible to keep it there..they'll relocate to a smaller place...University of Dayton will likely turn it

into student housing. Sad to see it go...unbelievable stain glass windows, hardwood floors etc.....

Mark sends

The church formed in 1926 and is a huge building....but now they only have about 20 people coming on Sundays and it's not financially feasible to keep it there..they'll relocate to a smaller place...

Mark sends

So it didn't go out of business. It is relocating to a smaller building. Sad to see it happen. Fewer and fewer people are going to church.

Looks like something you would typically find in a bar... Not sure what a church would be doing with a black lacquer clock shaped like 'nam, but hey, I've seen stranger things.

• 1 month later...

I just found one of these clocks locally on Craigslist. It's very similar except the finish is stained and has an ARVN flag on the bottom near Saigon. It's made from plywood. The guy I bought it from said it was a gift from a young Vietnamese refugee that he sponsored a long time ago. I'll post some photos of it as soon as I get home.