Opinions on Vietnam War book - Bloods by Wallace Terry

bunkerhillburning

bunkerhillburning

My favorite form of written history is the oral history.

I have finished reading a fair number of oral histories by Vietnamese Boat people or those working with the refugees and have now begun looking for oral histories by the soldiers. American soldiers but am interested in both sides and especially the South Vietnamese soldiers and their own aftermath.

I have read " Tears before the Rain " by Engelmann and am now looking at the book " Bloods " by Wallace Terry published in the 1980's.

Some might recall the book as it is an oral history of Black American soldiers during the Vietnam War.

I am interested in opinions of those who have read it. Am considering picking up a copy.

But please feel free to give suggestions on Vietnam War oral histories you are familiar with.

Havent read Bloods but heard of it.

I read Brennans War and Head Hunters both by the same author Matthew Brennan who spent 39 months in Vietnam.He wrote FLASHING SABRE which I havent read but understand is a rework of Brennans War.He was with the 1/9th Cav.He wrote Hunter Killer as well and its the stories of 30 veterans.

Heard of the Book DUST OFF.

There are so many good books by the Veterans of the war.If IO go to the Half Price book Store its hard not to leave with out buying something.THey have a large selection of Vietnam titles and a growing section of works by veterans of Afganistan and Iraq.

Linderer wrote several on the 101st/Lrrps all were well done.

SOG by John Plaster is another that gives an account of SOG and its missions.

Also several books done by Navy SEALS and Other related Navy and Brown Water veterans.The list is long.

bunkerhillburning

Doyler, is this a web site, Half Price Book Store? Sounds like my kind of place. So many used book stores in my neck of the woods are long gone.

I did some searching on Amazon last night and there are many oral histories about the Vietnam War.

Did a quick search on Brennan's " Hunter Killer " on Amazon and bookmarked it. Clearly an oral history but I would never have known that as it's not stated as such so my thanks for that.

I am able to find any number of books on eBay for peanuts which still surprises me. I found and purchased for very little money:

Everything We Had by Al Santoli

To Bear Any Burden: The Vietnam War and it's Aftermath in the Words of American's also by Al Santoli

No Shining Armor: The Marines at War in Vietnam by Lehrack

I am finishing up the historical novel by Karl Marlantes " Matterhorn " which is very good. I do not usually read historical novels but as the writer is a Marine and a combat vet of the Vietnam war I thought I would give it a try. Plus the sheer number of great reviews were convincing. It's very good

I have never read Bloods but have been meaning to pick it up for a while. I did my masters thesis on the US Army in Vietnam so read quite a bit of the academic histories and oral histories from the US perspective.

A few that I really enjoyed were:

They Marched into Sunlight, by David Maraniss which chronicles the Battle of On Than 1st ID was involved in during 1967 that Terry Allen's son was killed during while he was a BN CDR and Clark Welch was at. The work also chronicles an antiwar protest at UW Madison that took place around the same time so tells about the two events from multiple peoples perspectives. A really well written work all around.

I never had a chance to read Patriots by Christian Appy but plan to and if it is anything like his book Working-Class War will definatly be worth the read. Patriots is one of the definitive oral history's on the war and tells if from all sides US, French, and North and South VN.

While it is a bit outside the normal books by combat veterans The book ​Long Binh Jail by Cecil Barr Currey is a pretty interesting account of the American Prison in Vietnam from the prisoner and guards perspective which gives you another perspective on the war.

Cheers

Ken

bunkerhillburning

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the tip about the POW oral history. That sounds very good.

Had a conversation with a friend of mine, a Vietnam combat veteran, and asked about Bloods. He said African American vets from the war who served 1964 - 1966 said they thought the book was not very good. They did not like or appreciate the content. Considering the source of the reviews I will not be picking up a copy.