Flight nurse A2?

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

Picked up this 1942 dated, size 36 AAF A2 flight jacket recently. The only history I can add is that it was found at a garage sale years ago in Colorado. The 801st Medical evacuation squadron was, from what I glean on line, primarily Flight Nurses. The name tag is so sadly missing from this jacket but the unit and size leads one to assume it was worn by a Flight Nurse. Any chance of tracing it down through the partial service number inked inside?

post-93-0-99627900-1485642418.jpg

post-93-0-21597100-1485642430.jpg

memphis_belle

Well, each squadron consisted of 25 flight nurses and 60 enlisted men, so this jacket could have belonged to a man as well.

I love the patch, it is so well preserved.

post-105115-0-88230900-1485705809_thumb.jpg

post-105115-0-75343700-1485705844_thumb.jpg

wartimecollectables.com

Thanks, the jacket is in terrific condition, the age is from storage not so much wear and tear.

Yes, could have been a small man. Again, any chance of researching the vet through the partial service number inked into the A2?

post-93-0-44510000-1485706397_thumb.jpg

Nice A-2. I hope you can pin it down. On a side note, with those extra inspection stamps, it looks like this jacket went through the re-issue depot. That may add a element of difficulty with the stamped numbers. I've had a few 36 jackets to pilots and aircrew over the years. I even saw a size 34 A-2 attributed with photographs to a B-17 gunner!

JD

wartimecollectables.com

Nice A-2. I hope you can pin it down. On a side note, with those extra inspection stamps, it looks like this jacket went through the re-issue depot. That may add a element of difficulty with the stamped numbers.

JD

Yes, most certainly reissued with the Air Force decal on the shoulder. Question is whether the partial service number is wearer one or wearer two! No success pinning it down so probably a mute point. Right now I still just have have a nice A2 with a rare patch. Apparently there are some more pieces found that came out of the estate and working on that but seller says insignia and nothing else with a clue to i.d.