The FMF -PAC unassigned Patch

ocsfollowme

So naturally when you first start collecting patches and have no clue about ASMIC of the USMF and go off of a book(s) that includes images of patches without much of a historical context you wanted to add this patch to your collection. It is in a book so you have to add it. This thread is aimed at clearing up much of the myths of this patch. All posts are welcomed.

To date, I have found 5 variations of this "unassigned" patch with variation 1 being the only credible WW2 era one. The banner over the EGA was added around 1955 so variations 3-5 cannot be WW2 era.

Variation 1. Notice that the EGA has a purple tinge to the color.

post-122868-0-16073500-1485630431_thumb.jpg

Variation 4. These 3x examples of Variation 4 include the banner. Maybe someone was making these later and accidentally included the banner without knowing that it was added post WW2 around 1955. The bobbing thread of the EGA is black and the reverse is typically messy.

Variation 4; Example 1:

post-122868-0-03744200-1485630736_thumb.jpg

Does anyone else have any other variation? Please add the books and years that this insignia was listed in so that we can get to the bottom of this patch.

Is there photos of this being worn? Theatre made? Bullion? Is it a fantasy patch? I would say that Variation 1 & 2 would be the only plausible patch but I do not own them so I do not know if they glow.

All comments are welcomed.

Variation 2 has the white border which is different than what it should be--yellow. I would trust Variation 1 as FE as the most plausible for being WW2 era.

I noticed the lettering on 3-5 is wrong compare the letters p and f. , v4, 2 the color red is different from all the other FMF period manufactured patches . The Eagle head is also different.

• 2 years later...