Iraqi Popular Army

PaulR

I picked this uniform up from a friend. A Popular Army Officer. This formation was disbanded by Saddam because of poor performance in 1991. They played a huge role during the Iran/Iraq War. I have the matching trousers and cap as well, but they would not fit into the display..

post-4249-0-47541700-1485571732_thumb.jpg

The uniform was brought back by a friend who was with the Army's Museum Corps who collected relics and etc for the Army for use in their museums. He sold the uniform to me, from his personal collection. So- it was brought back by a US veteran.

• 3 weeks later...

Great display of Iraqi bringback items!!! That's a nice looking setup that's not commonly seen.

That's the best quality hardware I've seen on an iraqi helmet.

The South Korean manufactured Iraqi M80 helmets are actually fairly well made. However, with heavy use and lack of maintenance (which appears to be fairly common for Iraqi helmets), the suspension and chinstrap webbing deteriorates and the metal hardware rusts very badly. It's also common to see these helmets crudely repainted by brushing on some new paint (which tends to easily flake off again), which only makes them look worse. The original OD painted finish actually looks really nice, very similar to the finish seen on US made M1 helmet shells.