ww2 us army Service Commands?

Jamecharles

which function has the Service Commands? in particular the 6th service command.

the 6th service command it has been in Europe?

which function has the Service Commands? in particular the 6th service command.

the 6th service command it has been in Europe?

Gil Sanow summed it up in a previous post:

"Service Commands were a different thing entirely. They occupied the pre-war "Corps Areas" when the Corps went to war. They processed draftees, operated stateside hospitals, provided MPs for POW and internment camps. Probably the only supply function the SC's had was for the initial issue of clothing to draftees."

The 6th Service Command was responsible for the midwest United States including Wisconsin, Illinois and Michigan.

-Ski

WACs served in all of the service commands.

-Ski

which were their tasks? they have been in Europe? besides the patch service command they could carry a patch divisional?

which were their tasks? they have been in Europe? besides the patch service command they could carry a patch divisional?

WACs served around the world, including Europe and in the Pacific, performing jobs that released additional men for combat duties. They were secretaries, mechanics, medical personnel, and believe it not, rarely cooks. These are just a few of the jobs they did. And, no, they didn't wear another patch other than the unit that they were with. So, if a WAC was with a Service Command, that would be the only patch they would wear. I don't know of any WACs assigned to divisions as these were combat units. They usually were assigned to higher headquarters units and service units.

-Ski

WACs served around the world, including Europe and in the Pacific, performing jobs that released additional men for combat duties. They were secretaries, mechanics, medical personnel, and believe it not, rarely cooks. These are just a few of the jobs they did. And, no, they didn't wear another patch other than the unit that they were with. So, if a WAC was with a Service Command, that would be the only patch they would wear. I don't know of any WACs assigned to divisions as these were combat units. They usually were assigned to higher headquarters units and service units.

-Ski

uni9adw8.th.jpguni9ckx8.th.jpg

I possess this jacket, which ribbon I can insert? Europe campaign?

thank a lot

No. She didn't serve overseas, only in the US. You would use a Good Conduct medal, Americian Campaign, WWII victory and WAC Service medal ribbons. The ribbons would look like these (ignore the name tag).

-Ski

post-3043-1223508365.jpg

....... By the way, she was with the 7th Service Command which was responsible for Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North and South Dakota and Wyoming.

-Ski

Service Commands served ONLY in the United States; WACs were also assigned to major commands overseas, e.g., Carribean base Cmd, SHAEF, COM Z, etc. Ski is correct on the ribbon grouping, but I woudn't assume a GC.

Army Service Forces (plural) operated only in North America and had Army Service Commands as their major organic subordinate units. In addition to the 1st-7th (or I to VII shown on the org chart on p.293 of The Army Almanac of 1950), there was the Northwest Service Command (ALCAN Highway, etc.) and the Military District of Washington (for admin and supply functions).

ASF was the designation from 12 March 1943; from 9 March 1942 the title had been Services of Supply.

Army Service Forces (plural) operated only in North America and had Army Service Commands as their major organic subordinate units. In addition to the 1st-7th (or I to VII shown on the org chart on p.293 of The Army Almanac of 1950), there was the Northwest Service Command (ALCAN Highway, etc.) and the Military District of Washington (for admin and supply functions).

ASF was the designation from 12 March 1943; from 9 March 1942 the title had been Services of Supply.

Thanks for clarifying... my father was in an ASF unit, at Los Alamos.

My WAC group came from a lady who served in the 7th SC before going overseas to 2nd Corps, then 20th Corps at the end of the war.. She got AGC, WAC, AMCamp, EAME, and WW2 Vict..None of mine have more than AGC, WAC, and EAME tho.. the other 2 ribbons were in the pocket of the Ike tho.

post-4106-1223526204.jpg

post-4106-1223526210.jpg

post-4106-1223526217.jpg

There were 3 different variations of 7th SC used. The issue ones that are fully embroidered on shirts, and wool ones on the coats..The 2nd and 20th patches are standard issue SSI. Keep in mind tho, the combat patch is 2nd Corps, not 7th SC..

Fins

post-4106-1223526340.jpg

post-4106-1223526346.jpg

Very nice WAC jackets.

Did the WAC use the same size rank chevrons on their jackets as the men?

Yup.. Mine, like most WW2 uniforms, have a full range too.. emroidered onto wool, all cotton, silver stripes, OD stripes. No rhyme or reason to it.. One of the shirts is a man's shirt also..I also have a small size man's O/S hat that is unpiped that came with it..Loved her 'war souvineer'. Italian camo SS parka with fur lining.. Even in war a girl needs a fur coat!! thumbsup.gif

Fins.

Yup.. Mine, like most WW2 uniforms, have a full range too.. emroidered onto wool, all cotton, silver stripes, OD stripes. No rhyme or reason to it.. One of the shirts is a man's shirt also..I also have a small size man's O/S hat that is unpiped that came with it..Loved her 'war souvineer'. Italian camo SS parka with fur lining.. Even in war a girl needs a fur coat!! thumbsup.gif

Fins.

Thanks for the info. I just picked up a 1943 dated jacket that has plastic buttons. The rank was taken off, but I can see the outline of the chevrons on the inside lining. The rank appears to be a Sergeant and I was wondering if the chevrons were used by both men and women.

Can you post a close-up picture of the two WAC jackets showing the DUIs?

Scott

• 14 years later...

Does anyone have a link to a Service Command or Service Corps map?
Does anyone know what Service Command Indiana was in, and have a patch for that command?

Salvage Sailor

...also, the 'Green Books'

UNITED STATES ARMY IN WORLD WAR II

The Army Service Forces

THE ORGANIZATION AND ROLE OF THE ARMY SERVICE FORCES by John D. Millet

CENTER OF MILITARY HISTORY
UNITED STATES ARMY
WASHINGTON, D. C., 1998

Library of Congress Catalog Card Number : 53-617

First Printed 1954-CMH  Pub 3-1

Chapter XXI - The Service Commands

On 8/5/2023 at 1:22 PM, Com-Z said:

Does anyone have a link to a Service Command or Service Corps map?
Does anyone know what Service Command Indiana was in, and have a patch for that command?

ty.jpg

Thanks to all.  I found that map, and the 5th Area & Patch five minutes after I posted this....lol.

I attended a funeral last Friday for a WWII Army Nurse, who passed at 102.  I am working up a flag triangle box for the family, and wanted to include the ASF roundel and the correct Corps Area patch.  She served at the restoration hospital at Camp Atterbury, Indiana from early '44 to Dec '45.  She ran the nursing function for one operating room, then for all operating nurses.  They did cranio-facial reconstructions on men who survived head and face wounds.  She nursed in Cincinnati and Springfield OH for 47 years.