DeWitt Peck 4th Marines China commanding officer

Bob Hudson

These are parts of the grouping I forgot to bring home the other day:

The oval photo is dated on the back: Oct. 6, 1917. He was commissioned June 1915, after graduating the Naval Academy. In Oct. 1917 we was listed as a "Second Lieutenant - Student Officer" at the Marine Officers' School and Barracks in Norfolk.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

25a.jpg

I wonder if this is his son?

26.jpg

I went through the muster rolls today to put together a more detailed account of his career highlights than can currently be found online. Besides the posts shown below, he had many stateside/shipboard staff and command positions, and postings to Washington and Quantico.

- 1915 Graduated Naval Academy, commissioned 2nd Lt.

- 1916 1st Provisional Marine Brigade Haiti in charge of Gendarmerie Jacmel

- WWI gassed while CO 55th Company, 2nd Battalion, 5th Regiment

- 1919 Marine Detachment, Rhine River Patrol

- 1923 Commanding Officer 21st Company, Guantanamo Bay Cuba

- 1924 153rd Company, Second Regiment Haiti

- 1931 Squadron Marine Officer, Special Service Squadron, USS Rochester

- 1932 Nicaraguan Electoral Detachment Camp Bolivar, Managua

- 1933 led team that wrote the book on USMC amphibious operations

- 1941 Commanding Officer 4th Marines, Shanghai, China

- WWII 1942-43 Admiral Halsey's operations chief & architect of the Central Solomons invasion

- WWII 1944-45 Assistant Commandant under Vandegrift

- 1945 attacked in China while Commanding General 1st Marine Division

- 1946 retired after 31 years active duty (35 with the Annapolis years)

This came with the grouping, but I set aside because, well, it's doesn't look like something owned by the CG 1st MarDiv. Then I thought -- Nicaragua. I handle a lot of knives/daggers/etc made everywhere from Mexico to Argentina, and this has elements I've seen elsewhere in Latin American pieces.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Searching online, I have found some good articles about Gen. Peck, including one about his family in the Army:

annapolis.jpg

Peck was in the news worldwide when he tangled with the Japanese in Shanghai. It was such a big story, it even made it into the Spanish-language press:

spanish.jpeg

lies.jpeg

lies2.jpg

His son was commissioned a Marine officer in July 1945. In 1951 he was in the newspapers in an article about the Marines during the April Communist offensive to retake Seoul:

son.jpeg

Bob this is a great grouping....I am enjoying reading the newspaper articles you are posting on him.

Yeah, it's nice to be able to put his story together in one place: his wikipedia page is short on details and he certainly had an interesting story. Look at who his trench mate was in WWI combat:

battle.jpeg

From Munda Trail: The New Georgia Campaign, June-August 1943 by Eric Hammel here's MacArthur approving Peak's plan for the Central Solomons campaign:

plans.jpeg

Yes Bob that is the contract date. 1937. Fits into known date timeline of NOM dates.

The last digit of the hat contract is faded, but it is "7" so I wonder if the last two numbers - 37 - are the year?

Yes Bob that is the contract date. 1937. Fits into known date timeline of NOM dates.

I have had 1960's campaign covers that were not as nice as this 80-year-old.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Sad to see. Seller "usmcaviator" if he really is, clearly has "the $um of the part$ are greater than the whole" as hi$ #1 priority, cuz it's sure not about preserving the legacy of a historic, fellow marine. What's the group $plit into, a dozen lot$?

Sad to see. Seller "usmcaviator" if he really is, clearly has "the $um of the part$ are greater than the whole" as hi$ #1 priority, cuz it's sure not about preserving the legacy of a historic, fellow marine. What's the group $plit into, a dozen lot$?

He was indeed a flyer with a distinguished career: now retired, he may have circumstances which necessitate this, but honestly not all collectors and dealers see groupings the same. I still remember the first grouping I found - and sold. A guy in a nearby town bought it and next thing I know the pieces are on ebay at a handsome profit for him (:

Now when I sell a grouping I just cross my fingers and hope the legacy stays together, knowing that's often not going to be the case.

RIP