1st pattern subdued question

Phantomf4

Does anyone have a list or know what unit patches where made in 1st pattern subdued on twill in the Vietnam era? here is a list of some I've seen.

1st aviation brigade

4th 9th 23rd 25th divisions

1st cav

11th acr

1st and 2nd field force

usarv

198th 199th infantry brigades

18th and 20th engineer brigades

1st logistical command.

I think I may have seen a MACV and a 1st medical brigade once.

I have never seen or heard of a 101st airborne or 1st division.

any help would be appreciated. oh and do they repro any of these?

Here is what I know of or have. There some subdued twill/cloth patches made in Germany, and Korea also that could be from the period (not listed here). I also have a 1st Bn 75th Ranger made the same style but its later than the VN era 1st issue subdued listed below.

MACV

USA VIETNAM

CAPITAL MILITARY ASSISTANCE COMMAND

1ST FIELD FORCE

2ND FIELD FORCE

SPECIAL FORCES

1ST CAVALRY

4TH ID

9TH ID

23RD ID

25TH ID

1ST ARMORED DIV

11TH ACR

1ST AVN BDE

18TH ENG BDE

20TH ENG BDE

11TH INFANTRY

173RD INFANTRY

196TH INFANTRY

198TH INFANTRY

199TH INFANTRY

44TH MED BDE

18TH MP BDE

1ST SIG BDE

125TH TRANS BDE

1ST LOG CMD

AIRBORNE TAB

ARMY AVIATION SCHOOL

JUNGLE EXPERT

Also the 2nd Armored Div.And some of those units had variations; 4th ID, 9th ID, 1st FFV, 1st AVN BDE, 44th MED BDE, 199th INF BDE, & I think a couple of others.

I have always thought the reversed color SF were made either in Korea or Germany.

As far as the 101st, there was an early subdued version made in Germany that is often confused for a US made subdued on twill.

One of the best sources on the early subdued on twill patches is Jim McDuff's book.

I have always thought the reversed color SF were made either in Korea or Germany.

As far as the 101st, there was an early subdued version made in Germany that is often confused for a US made subdued on twill.

One of the best sources on the early subdued on twill patches is Jim McDuff's book.

McDuff had two books.I think they both show the twill versions.One was mainly sketches the other photographs of original patches

Both of the black arrowheads in my pics were issued to me, and came from a US manufacturer.

Well that clears that up. Thanks!

By the way, probably the two rarest subdued on twill patches are 1st and 2nd Armored. I have only seen a couple show up in the last twenty years, and they went for ridiculous prices. The patches were only worn for a limited amount of time in Vietnam.

Have to agree on the Armored ones! I have given up on getting those two! I will have a real 318th Log. Cmd before I would have one of these!

What was the date of "1st Issue"?

I would say 1966, like by late summer, seen the type being worn in the 25th Infantry Division yearbook of 1966, this particular book goes up till around September 1966, as it was released for the division's 25th Anniversary, which was in October 1966.

I would say 1966, like by late summer, seen the type being worn in the 25th Infantry Division yearbook of 1966, this particular book goes up till around September 1966, as it was released for the division's 25th Anniversary, which was in October 1966.

I never saw any, SF or other at Bragg back then.

I have the one e19 has but it's merrow edged. I got it from an SFer who used to post here from time to time. He said he got it at Bragg in '68 I believe.

I never saw any, SF or other at Bragg back then.

I believe they were not issued Army wide at first. My understanding is that the first batches were sent straight to Vietnam.

I believe they were not issued Army wide at first. My understanding is that the first batches were sent straight to Vietnam.

That is correct. They were to be used in lieu of the dyed full color & stenciled/printed versions.